• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader DC completes installation but can't open application or a pdf

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed Acrobat Reader DC (free) and uninstalled it several times on Windows 10.  The install completes normally but I can't get the application to open or to respond when double-clicking a .pdf file name.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Tried it all for a second time and found that I could open Reader from the application in the Adobe directory on my C drive. Then fixed it to the start menu and all seems OK now.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Stephenc,

We're sorry for the trouble you had with Adobe Reader, please use Acrobat cleaner tool to remove installed Adobe Reader Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Reboot the machine once and then download the latest version of Adobe Reader from Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

• Once Adobe Reader is downloaded, Right-click on the setup file and click on ‘properties’.
  • Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/7 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.
  • Once this is done, restart the computer, right click on the Adobe Reader icon and choose 'Run as Administrator', you may also refer to the Adobe article for steps Run an Adobe program as administrator | Windows 7, Vista 

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

[Edited response]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a few tries (to find the right place to right click to find properties) I completed the uninstall/cleaning and reinstall as you suggested and the results are unchanged.  I do appreciate your help.

Steve Clarke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephenc,

We're sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Please create a test user profile with full admin rights and try installing Adobe Reader and see if the issue is reproducible.

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Anand, how can I learn to create a test user profile with full

administrative rights? I will be happy to run the test. Steve Clarke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anand I just saw your prior email explaining how to run with full

administrative rights. If I follow that procedure will it create the test

user profile?

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 8:27 AM, Stephen Clarke <

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

Please follow the steps from the following Microsoft support link https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anand, I believe I completed the steps just as you outlined but I see no

change in the way Reader responds:

1. Double click the shortcut icon and it thinks for a few seconds and

doesn't do anything.

2. Double click a .pdf and it thinks for a few seconds and doesn't do

anything.

Any more ideas? You are welcome to access my machine if you wish. Steve

Clarke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Steve,

We're sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. have you created a test user profile with full admin rights (steps shared to create a test user profile in https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc... )?

If not, please create a test user profile with admin rights, and install Adobe Reader and check. If you still experience any issue, please share your contact details, the best time for a callback and the timezone so that we can schedule a remote session and can assist you further. Please share these details by private message only How Do I Send Private Message

For testing purpose, please connect the machine to a different network environment like a guest wireless network or a mobile hotspot and disable the security software and try installing Adobe Reader.

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Thanks for your time and patience thus far.

Regards

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem and this does not solve it.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tried it all for a second time and found that I could open Reader from the application in the Adobe directory on my C drive. Then fixed it to the start menu and all seems OK now.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines