Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Lightroom CC with Lightroom Classic

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I currently use Lightroom "Classic" (having switched last year from Lightroom 5) on a desktop at home, and recently added a laptop to my arsenal.  With this upgrade to Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic, I have a question regarding the use of both of them, and how they interact.

My main catalog is on my desktop.  I have several collections which were synced with Lightroom Mobile.  As I understand it, these catalogs are automatically synced with Lightroom CC, and as I understand it, current subcribers to the Lightroom Photography plan receive Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, and Lightroom Classic for the same price ($9.99 US per month), with limited cloud storage for Lightroom CC.

I have found that I can access my synced files on my new laptop, and any edits I applied have carried over.

Here are my questions:

How do changes I make to any files that have synced to Lightroom CC affect my files on my home desktop?  I assume edits are synced, but what if I delete a file from a collection?  Is it also deleted from the corresponding collection on my home desktop?  If so, this won't remove it from the catalog, correct?

Can I add files to the collection on my laptop and have it sync with the desktop?

Lastly, it seems that from Lightroom CC,  when I try to save files from to my laptop, I receive a message that says the file is not available because Lightroom couldn't access the full size original.  I thought there would be access to the full file?

I was excited at the prospect of selecting a group of photos from my desktop catalog in Lightroom Classic, placing them into a collection to sync with Lightroom CC, being able to work on them away from home, and returning home to finish the work in Classic.  Is this not possible?  What are the implications or caveats to using a workflow such as this?

I hope I'm making sense.  If there is an article detailing answers to my questions that would be appreciated, but of course any answers are most welcomed.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

The work flow you've mentioned will work just keep in mind that LR Classic will only upload smart previews to the cloud and LR CC will upload the original full sized files. So if you want to download the originals onto your laptop, install LR CC on your desktop and upload the files there. If you're fine only working on smart previews on your laptop then continue to sync using LR Classic. Your edits made on your laptop in LR CC will sync to LR Classic on your desktop.

And deleting a file in LR CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The work flow you've mentioned will work just keep in mind that LR Classic will only upload smart previews to the cloud and LR CC will upload the original full sized files. So if you want to download the originals onto your laptop, install LR CC on your desktop and upload the files there. If you're fine only working on smart previews on your laptop then continue to sync using LR Classic. Your edits made on your laptop in LR CC will sync to LR Classic on your desktop.

And deleting a file in LR CC will delete it from your collection in LR Classic, but not from the catalog/hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi donnyf41331198 ,

Did you find the solution to all your answers already?  I'm having the same issues with LR CC as well. 

I get the same error when I tried to save the files from LR CC to my desktop.  it doesn't have access to the full size original.

Thank you

Tonie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mariantonietam9452871  wrote

Hi donnyf41331198 ,

Did you find the solution to all your answers already?  I'm having the same issues with LR CC as well. 

I get the same error when I tried to save the files from LR CC to my desktop.  it doesn't have access to the full size original.

Thank you

Tonie

You need to understand that if you sync images from LR Classic to the cloud, only a Smart Preview (which measures 2560px on the long edge) is uploaded. If when you subsequently tried to export using the "Save To" option, AND you select "Jpeg" and "Full Size" in the dialog box, then because LRCC doesn't actually have the original full resolution file it cannot do what you have requested and so aborts with that error message.

Certainly the message could be improved, or better still the "Full Size" option should be unavailable if the original full resolution file is not available, but that's what we have to work with for now. There are a couple of ways of dealing with this issue: either upload the original files to the cloud as per the post above, or change the size setting in the Save To dialog to "Custom" and enter the long edge dimension of 2560 px. The latter option will give you the maximum export size for the Smart Previews that have been uploaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines