• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CSH works in one publication and not the next

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2009 Mar 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're using TCS v1.0 with FM v8.0 and RH v7.0 and all patches installed.

We published a CHM file last December with working CSH links. We're trying to publish a new version, and the CSH links aren't working. They appear to be live when we check Edit Map IDs (they're all turquoise and unlocked).

The screen IDs have not changed in our software application, the TopicAlias markers are applied in the FrameMaker files as they have always been, and the .h file was imported into the RH project.

Why would the CSH links fail to work with this publication?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try using RH's BugHunter tool to see whether the application call is going to the correct place. If it isn't, check the map file for syntax errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Column. We're getting several HHC3015 errors saying certain files do not exist (they do, and they appear in the CHM) and HHC5003 errors saying compilation failed while compiling several graphics (png format). I'm not sure what to do with this information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. Sorry to misspell your name, Colum. I found Adobe's TechNotes about the HHC3015 and HHC5003. I'm looking into what is suggested there. These issues seem to relate to bookmarks and TOCs. Do they affect CSH? Do you have any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The HHC3015 error can be ignored. This is an old bug in the Microsoft compiler (which they haven't upgraded in years). Every bookmark is listed as a non-existing "file" by the compiler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've generated a new CHM, this time with some CSH links working. I don't understand what's going on. There are 2 writers here, and each time either one of us produces a CHM file, we have different outcomes. We use the same methods and procedures.

Why would the CSH links appear to be live in the Edit Map IDs dialog and not work from our software application? Why would they work in one publication and not the next when we haven't changed them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2009 Mar 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting to get confused myself now Are you saying that the Bughunter displays all the links as working but that when they are used inside the application they break? If so, go back to your developer and check the call they are making.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I couldn't get through this morning.

I enabled Bug Hunter and didn't see any messages in the Output View about any broken links. Am I using this feature correctly?

What I did see was active links when I looked at Map Files/Edit Map IDs. All of my IDs were showing being mapped to a topic. To test the CSH links, we put a copy of the CHM file in our software application and hit the Help button in our software interface. We also use F1.

We checked with our software application people when we first discovered this problem to see if they had changed any screen ID assignments, and they assured us they did not. They promise they haven't made any changes that should affect our work.

Our other writer generated a CHM yesterday afternoon using the same steps as we've used previously with the same files, and that time her CSH links worked. It's truly baffling to us. Every time we try to make a CHM, something different happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us exactly what is happening to the "faulty" links? It may be worth getting hold of the old copy of the CHM and placing it where the new CHM resides. Then do the test with the application. If it works several times, maybe the problem resides in the CHM. If it doesn't work, the problem is in the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we replace the old chm (that worked) with the new CHM containing faulty links and select the Help button in the application, nothing happens. No help is displayed; no error message; nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So have you done as I asked - i.e replaced the new CHM with the old CHM and tested that it works? This is crucial to understanding whether the problem is with the CHM or the application.

If you have, and the old CHM file works with the application as it currently stands, recompile the project with the output view displayed and look out for any warning / error messages. Let us know what you find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we've done what you ask and put the old chm back in and it worked.

I may not have time today to recompile the project. I'll let you know what happens when I get another chance to try it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that produces no error, can you tell us what has changed in the project between the old CHM and the new (e.g. map file changes, topic renames).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the existing topic headings or their associated TopicAlias markers/MapIDs changed. New content was added to the FrameMaker files, and new headings and their TopicAlias markers/MapIDs were added.

Additionally, we're having problems with a new condition and its text not being hidden in this chm as we intended. I don't want to broach that subject right now. I've had similar problems with conditioned Figure Captions and bullets showing when the rest of the text is hidden. It should all be hidden. We've resorted to deleting that text from the copy we use to produce CHMs on our C drives (we have to work on the network and archive our files to our hard drives).

We've tried using the Import function to add the FM files to the project, and we've tried the Add FrameMaker Files by Reference function. Both methods have resulted in the failed CSH links. The most recent Add FrameMaker Files by Reference method the other writer used finally resulted in active CSH links. However, for that CHM, all of the paragraph tags were somehow automatically selected for page breaks in the Pagination Settings area--she only selected Heading1 and Heading2 for the page breaks.

Also, I did not see any information about broken links in the Output View after enabling Bug Hunter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: grosskj
we have to work on the network and archive our files to our hard drives.

This approach is likely to lead to all sorts of issues both now AND in the future. Move your source files off your network drive and work with them locally. By all means backup to your network at the end of each day. RH projects run across a network drive just do not work because of the in built Access database. If you continue to run across the network, you may find lots of additional problems or corrupted data.

Do not listen to your IT department who'll try and tell you otherwise. Do not pass Go! Etc, Etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2009 Mar 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. We use Bruce Foster's Archive software to move our files to our hard drives before publishing the CHMs. The application copies the files and graphics imported by reference to folders on our hard drives. Do you know of any issues with this process? We're not working from the network when we publish our CHMs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same applies. As long you have your project open on a network drive you are violating the golden rule. You may have not hit problems so far but just like any game of Russian Roulette your luck will sooner or later evaporate.

Is there a specific reason why you don't use your archive software to do things the other way around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you explain what you mean by "...project open on the network..."? We don't work from the network files when we create a RH project. We work from a copy of those files on our local drive. Does something happen to the network files that carries over to the local drive that causes corruption?

We follow the practice of working on the network because our boss requires it. He wants our group to have access to the files at all times. We single-source these files for Print or Help. Before making the CHM, we PDF the files on the network using Acrobat 3D for customers to be able to print. Then we archive to the local drive and use RH to make the CHM.

We've used previous versions of RoboHelp and WebWorks Publisher in the past with great success. We switched to the TCS when FM8 came out because WWP didn't have a compatible version at the time. Our problems started with RH7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm confused as to where your sources files live, who uses them and where The bottom line here is that you should never open a RH project if the project files are located on a network drive. This is for the reasons previously mentioned. If you have the source located on a network drive but always ensure you copy the files to a local drive before changing anything, you are ok. If you are creating PDFs from inside RH with the source files located on a network you risking corruption. If you are creating PDFs from outside RH using Acrobat 3D but on a network you are more than likely violating your licence agreement - which is unlikely to allow it to be installed on a network.

If things are still confusing (I have to admit to not being 100% sure of your documentation process myself) can you outline exactly the process you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The original, working FM files are on our network. The Adobe applications are on our local drives (we're not violating licensing agreements).

We update the FM files on the network.
We make a PDF from the FM files on the network.
We archive the FM files on the network to a local drive.
We create a RH project on the local drive using the FM files on our local drive.
We never try to create a RH project using the FM files on the network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp