• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Macbook Pro overheats with lightroom classic cc (only) (MacOS Mojave)

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I use Lightroom Classic CC on a macbook pro (mid 2012). I use Mojave as Operating System.

My problem:  the macbook becomes very hot  (to hot to have it on my lap). But only Lightroom gives this problem. Other applications like Luminar or Photo;s don't have this problem.

How to sloven this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

LR is probably doing something in the background, like creating previews of all your images or trying to sync collections to the LR Mobile/Web system.

I suggest you start LR, Do Nothing In LR and let it run overnight.

If you place the cursor over the identity plate an arrow will appear on the right hand side of it, Click that arrow and see if any of the 3 entries there are running. If they are select them to Pause them.

Right now I have Chrome open, my email program (Thunderbird), Task Manager (I'm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JosCM,

Sorry that your computer is overheating while using Lightroom Classic CC on your computer with MacOS Mojave.

Could you please uncheck the option "use graphics processor" under the Preferences> Performance menu in Lightroom and check if the issue still persists?

Also, take a look at this article Adobe Creative Cloud apps and macOS 10.14 Mojave compatibility issues

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash.

I disabled the graphics processor. After restarting LR the heating remained. The article did not give relevant information for me. Activity Monitor reported hij CPU activity for LR (>400).

LR gives the impression it is doing things it should not do .

Kind egards,

Jos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Akash.

I disabled the graphics processor. I then restarted LR. The heating remains. Diagnostics reports CPU-activity >400%. What goes wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How old is your Mac book Pro? Have you clean the dust out of it lately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem onlusten occurs with LR Classic CC

And yes, there is no dust in the laptop. I clean it 2 pee Year. The laptop is a model A1286, mid 2012. My HD is replaced with 500Gb ssd from Samsung.

But again: the problem onlusten occurs with LR.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 25 sep. 2018 om 23:23 heeft Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com<mailto:forums_noreply@adobe.com>> het volgende geschreven:

created by Just Shoot Me<https://forums.adobe.com/people/JustShootMe> in Lightroom Classic CC — The desktop-focused app - View the full discussion<https://forums.adobe.com/message/10641020#10641020>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom uses the CPU more than other programs. So it is expected that LR generates more heat than other programs. If you search these forums, there are many such discussions. If you search Apple forums, you will see that high levels of heat are common with Macbooks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand now, I should accept that LR overheats my laptop because LR uses the CPU more than other programs.

Other programs like Luminar, Bridge and Photoshop don’t have this problem so for me it is strange that only LR has this problem. Overheating also causes damage to my accu which doesn’t like heath.

So the main question remains:

Which settings do I need to adjust to ensure that LR produces less heat? The graphics processor is already switched off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR is probably doing something in the background, like creating previews of all your images or trying to sync collections to the LR Mobile/Web system.

I suggest you start LR, Do Nothing In LR and let it run overnight.

If you place the cursor over the identity plate an arrow will appear on the right hand side of it, Click that arrow and see if any of the 3 entries there are running. If they are select them to Pause them.

Right now I have Chrome open, my email program (Thunderbird), Task Manager (I'm on win 7) and LR. CPU usage is Zero ( 0 ) to 2-3 % as shown on the Performance tab of task manager. On the Processes tab LR is showing 00 for CPU usage. If I open the Develop module it spikes in the 50-60% range and if I zoom in all cores (4 physical 8 logical) spike to 80+/-% and then goes back to zero.

So something in LR is running or somehow LR is causing your Mac to use CPU cycles when it isn't needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To “just shoot me”

Thanks for your answer!

Kind regards

Joscm

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 26 sep. 2018 om 11:07 heeft Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com<mailto:forums_noreply@adobe.com>> het volgende geschreven:

created by Just Shoot Me<https://forums.adobe.com/people/JustShootMe> in Lightroom Classic CC — The desktop-focused app - View the full discussion<https://forums.adobe.com/message/10641697#10641697>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Finally a helpful response

Hope this works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JosCM  wrote

Other programs like Luminar, Bridge and Photoshop don’t have this problem so for me it is strange that only LR has this problem. Overheating also causes damage to my accu which doesn’t like heath.

I can't speak about Luminar, but yes, LR will stress the CPU more than Bridge or Photoshop.

So the main question remains:

Which settings do I need to adjust to ensure that LR produces less heat? The graphics processor is already switched off!

I don't think there is such a setting. But make sure that LR isn't doing face detection, and it's not synching with Lightroom Mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines