Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows Explorer lags while opening/rearranging massive pdf folder

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

The problem is following: I’m a historian and I work on multiple PDF files, each containing multiple pages of scanned documents (usually handwritten so OCR is ruled out). Those files are usually rather big – up to 400 MB. I'm used to fill in the properties of each file: ‘title’, ‘topic’ and ‘tags’. Then I try to navigate through those files – stored in one folder - using standard Windows Explorer (precisely: Windows 10 Pro if it matters, Ifilter installed). And now the PROBLEM comes. Every time I open the folder OR make attempt to rearrange the files order along different columns – either ‘title’ or ‘topic’ or ‘tags’ – it takes enormous amount of time for my computer to complete the list. The more files I add to the folder, the longer it takes – now it’s like 3-4 minutes. It looks like Windows Explorer builds files index every time from the scratch and it ‘forgets’ the task was already done few minutes before. It is really annoying.  I’ve got relatively new and fast computer (ThinkPad T450) so the problem doesn’t seem to be hardware related. And now the QUESTION: do you know how to tweak Windows Explorer you have any dedicated PDF files on your mind that could solve my problem?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Search bar at the top of http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx to find help for Windows Explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines