• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Sitewide Change Links tool.

Advocate ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 2018 CC trial and did one round of change sitewide links, and it went real nice, and then I did 5 more rounds,with different links,  and it seemed it was going good, but some of the rounds CC did it's thing but the links did not change. Man, that is a  hairy tool! Not always reliable. Not sure how many here use it a bit...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

larry4545  wrote

Thanks Nancy, an SEO consultant recently suggested, well putting it all in wordpress, under one roof not cutting down pages.

But either idea is not practical right now,

There's never going to be a good time to re-build. It takes time. It's painful. But right now, everyone you ask is telling you to re-build rather than waste any more time maintaining an inefficient, outdated website. We've all been there.

You've already spent a few weeks on these forums chasing an answer to this one

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this related to your previous question?

DW says no links, can't find when hundreds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John, different in that i'm now using CC 2018, and even there changing links site wide is not stable.. This is geared to those who use that feature a lot. Curious if other who do, have experienced instability with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not personally noticed any difference in the Sitewide Change Links tool. It has always worked OK for me in all versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks John! Ok, let me see if anyone else has this issue. I have 1500 pages + maybe that's it.. who knows. Cursed with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should archive your old site.  Managing  a 1500 page static site is too onerous for words.  It should be re-built dynamically.   1500 pages could be cut down to 10 files with content coming from a database.  This would translate to less work for you,  less load on Dreamweaver  and less load on your web server.

Use server-side includes for sitewide navigation.  Open 1 file.  Edit & save changes. Upload file to server.  Problem solved.  

Server-Side Includes with PHP

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy, an SEO consultant recently suggested, well putting it all in wordpress, under one roof not cutting down pages.

But either idea is not practical right now, as it would be very expensive (to a developer),  now to transfer, and actually the pages current are doing pretty good seo wise.

Your idea is nice for clutter for sure, but each page, actually has different text and code than every other page, and that is important to Google seo wise,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

larry4545  wrote

But either idea is not practical right now,

There's never going to be a good time to re-build. It takes time. It's painful. But right now, everyone you ask is telling you to re-build rather than waste any more time maintaining an inefficient, outdated website. We've all been there.

You've already spent a few weeks on these forums chasing an answer to this one issue about changing links sitewide and no-one has offered you the magic solution you're apparently seeking - because there isn't one.

If and when you re-build this site using modern, efficient tools, you'll wonder what to do with all the spare time you then have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen your old site(s) so cannot make specific recommendations.  But all things being equal, I would probably put everything under one dynamic umbrella.   Long term, it makes the most sense.

I have converted several static sites to dynamic without major SEO impact because I added server re-write rules from old URLs to new URLs and made the most of WordPress Taxonomy and SEO plugins.   But good SEO requires an ongoing effort whether your site is static or dynamic. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks John, I'm not really spending that much time on these post/ issues.   The pages are performing fairly well, and that is the bottom line.

It's not really not that huge a problem having a lot of pages.

The site is a hybrid so it's not that outdated actually.  But there are a lot of pages.

If you or Nancy want to PM me on a quote you can. But it would take several intense phone calls and live talk to just go over.

And again, each of these pages, would have to stay more or less the same, someone would have to look at all the text and adjust or change a bit, bit of word.  I've got a lot going on, someone else would have to do it....

BTW Nancy, if I ever do the big project, you concur Wordpress would be the way to go? And if so then no need for Dreamweaver at that point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines