Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exclude Baggage Files From RH8 Search

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi...

I have noticed that you can exclude pages from appearing in the RH8 search (Topic Properties > Exclude From Search), but are you also able to do this with baggage files? (now that RH8 indexes those too).

I have a large number of PDF baggage files, but dont want these to appear in the search.

Thanks...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009
Hi. I've just contacted Adobe about this feature request and have been told that the SALIdxSvc12.xml file in your install folder can be edited to exclude the baggage file types that you DO NOT want indexed. If you backup this file and open it in Notepad, you'll find a line like <Type Ext=".pdf"/>. If you remove this line (or <Type Ext=".doc"/>, <Type Ext=".docx"/>, etc.) from the file, and save it, baggage files of this type are excluded from being the search. You'll need to relaunch RH to pick ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mat

Unfortunately Baggage files are immune from Conditional Build tagging. I would strongly encourage you and others to pester Adobe with Wish Forms asking for ability to apply CBTs to baggage content.

Click here to visit the Wish Form

Until this feature emerges as part of the RoboHelp feature set, the best you can probably do is to place the files inside a folder in baggage where you can occasionally sneak behind RoboHelp's back and rename the folder temporarily so RoboHelp doesn't know about it. This would effectively exclude the files.

Once finished with the special build, rename the folder back to what it was.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Rick...

I will definitely submit a request on the wish forum and hope this is a future feature!

As the baggage files don't change too much, i think i'll just upload them elsewhere on the web server and link to them (for the time being!)

Mat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope they can implement this too... I will probably have to take a similar approach to Mat, as most of the files I have in baggage are not things that I want my users to find via the Search; they are linked from specific points within processes etc..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've just contacted Adobe about this feature request and have been told that the SALIdxSvc12.xml file in your install folder can be edited to exclude the baggage file types that you DO NOT want indexed. If you backup this file and open it in Notepad, you'll find a line like <Type Ext=".pdf"/>. If you remove this line (or <Type Ext=".doc"/>, <Type Ext=".docx"/>, etc.) from the file, and save it, baggage files of this type are excluded from being the search. You'll need to relaunch RH to pick these changes.

The only proviso for this is that you should only remove file types not add them! Hope this helps as a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colum, that looks like being pretty simple.. will just need to remember to do it on all installs of RH8!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colum... That seems like a fairly straight forward way of doing it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
And also to remember to reinstate the relevant lines of XML should you have a project that DOES require PDFs indexed. The long term solution is an option when added the baggage file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp