• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom edits disappear after editing the original file in Photoshop.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is for Lightroom Classic CC.

Say that I import a photo and apply a develop preset.

I then notice something I need to clone out so I right-click it and edit the original in Photoshop.

After I edit and save in Photoshop, the photo that's in Lightroom no longer has all my presets applied. I have to re-apply the preset or click on the effect history panel to re-apply the preset.

In previous versions of Lightroom the presets would continue to be applied after editing and saving the original file in Photoshop. How do I get this functionality back in LR Classic CC?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't said whether the photo imported to Lightroom is a Raw or an RGB image (jpg, tiff), so that's two different scenarios:

Raw - Because PS itself cannot handle a Raw, only an RGB, the Raw needs to be converted first. If you have parallel versions of LR Classic and PSCC + its Raw converter plugin Adobe Camera Raw (for instance LR 7.5 and ACR 10.5), LR sends editing instructions to PS and the actual edit and conversion will be done by ACR. The RGB image (at this point it exists only in memory) opens in PS and can be cloned or whatever. When you finish the PS editing that image needs to be saved to disc as a tiff or psd in the original folder by doing Save and it will be auto-imported back to LR.

If you do not have matching versions of LR and PS, LR does the conversion itself, placing a tiff or psd in the original folder and notifies PS to open it. after editing you have to replace that file with the PS-edited version by doing Save.

Either way you have two files, a Raw that will show only proposed LR edits and an RGB that will have both LR edits and PS edits baked in and in LR will open with a zeroed Develop Basic panel.

RGB - If the original is already an RGB and you edit, when you click "Edit in PS..." you will be given a choice; "Edit a Copy with LR Adjustments" or "Edit Original". But at this point the LR edits, even though you see them on screen, haven't been applied to the RGB file. They are only proposed edits to be applied to a new file because LR will never overwrite the original. So if you select "Edit Original" that means exactly what it says - the original without LR adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the PS file returns to Lightroom, try looking at the History Panel in the Develop Module.  Some previous versions of Lightroom would not return to the latest History state.  Click on the latest history state (Top of the History list) to see if this corrects the problem.  Latest version of Lightroom is 7,5.  Do you have this latest version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have 7.5 and I've been using LR for 15-some years.

The history panel shows the edits and effects presets that I've already made. After I edit the original in Photoshop, I have to click on the latest history state to re-apply all my edits. This is annoying and is exactly opposite of what previous versions of LR has done, which is to keep all my LR edits.

So for example:

I import 100 JPGs

I immediately apply various develop presets to all 100 JPGs

I have to clone out things in 8 images, so I edit the originals in PS and save them.

If I then export all my images in LR, I notice that all 8 of my clone-edited images no longer have the develop presets applied.

So I have to go back, find the ones that I cloned, and individually click on the most recent history state in LR to apply their presets. Previous versions of LR never required this. When the originals changed the develop presets were still applied, so you could edit the original in PS and then immediately go back to LR and export. You never had to go back and manually re-apply your most recent history state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are remembering is how LR works with raw files:

Import raw file

apply Lightroom edits

open in PS to clone The file opens without a dialog either as a psd or tif depending on how you have it set up.

Save.

Apply new Lightroom edits.

open in PS again.  This time the dialog appears.  Select original and edit in PS.

Save.

Image now returns to LR with new LR edits still in the History.

With a jpg, the photo returns from PS as a psd or tif.  By selecting original, no LR presets will be there.  If you choose copy with LR Adjustments, then the Original LR edits will be built into the new psd or tif created for PS but not show in History as explained by elie_di in post No. 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom for business and we have never shot RAW files in our years and years of business. So no, I'm not remembering how LR works with RAW files. I repeat - this is absolutely not about RAW.

- Import JPGs

- Apply LR edits (which is really just a preview of how the final exported file will look). Let's just say that we make the image black and white in LR using a preset.

- Edit the original JPG in Photoshop to clone out stuff, let's say some power lines. There's no duplication going on, no conversion to TIFF or PSD, this is literally destructive editing of the original JPG file in Photoshop so that the original JPG no longer has power lines.

In previous versions of LR, I would come back to the JPG image still in black and white, but with the power lines gone, as expected. In fact, we would often see the black and white photo with power lines for a split second before the power lines disappear as LR automatically updates the preview to reflect the fact that the original JPG changed. But the image is still in black and white as per the preset that was applied. The original JPG file has been permanently changed so it makes sense that LR should reflect this.

In 7.5, I come back to LR with the power lines cloned out, but now it's back to being a color shot. I have to re-click the most recent edit in my history to have the image be black and white again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally work with raw, not jpg, so I tried it.

1. Apply LR edits to jpg image xyz.jpg
  2. Open original in PS and clone out distractions
  3. Save in PS
  4. Dialog asks where to save with default to xyz.psd
  5. changed to jpg
  6. dialog defaults to xyz_copy.jpg
  7. Change name to xyz.jpg
  8. dialog says xyz.jpg already exists, do you want to replace?
  9. answer yes
  10. close PS
  11. Back in LR, photo is changed with LR edits applied.

So it works in my LR with several extra steps in PS

I do not know why it is not working for you.

FYI: I am on an iMac with OS High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a video of the behavior:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a video of the behavior:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work-around suggestion:

1 Edit jpg in LR.

2 "Edit in ..." > "Open as Smart Object", image opens in PS with LR edits, but only held in memory, no new file written.

3 Rasterize and edit.

4 Save As jpg and overwrite original jpg.

5 LR will reload Develop preview with both sets of edits. To hurry it along zoom to 1:1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any idea why my LR is doing this in the first place though? Seems like other people on 7.5 aren't having the same issues? A previous (but still somewhat recent version) of Lightroom Classic CC also seemed to do this, but I didn't note the version number at the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines