• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon Z7 Raw

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC can not open Nikon Z7 RAW files.....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

A new update is being rolled-out today. Go to the Apps tab in Creative Cloud desktop to install or click the three dots (top-right) to check for updates.

https://99jon.blogspot.com/2018/10/lightroom-classic-cc-october-update.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Nikon Z7 was announced on 8/23, one day after LR 7.5 was released. In the US, it's available for pre-order from Amazon but won't ship until 11/30.  Adobe usually waits until a new Nikon or Canon model is available in the US before adding raw support.    Since a new version of LR is released every 8 weeks on average, that means LR 7.6 is likely to come out 10/17, well before the Nikon Z7 is available in the US.  So the Z7 will be supported no earlier than LR 7.7, likely mid-December.  

See Re: Timing of Lightroom releases

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...no, the Z6 will ship at the end of november - the (more important) Z7 is still shipping since this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the (more important) Z7 is still shipping since this week.

Who in the US is shipping it this week?  Do you have a link?  As linked above, Amazon isn't shipping it until 11/30:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Amazon isn't a good example here, just look at the large professional dealers like B&H or Adorama:

B&H now shipping Nikon Z7 cameras to existing pre-orders - Nikon Rumors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mediafotografie  wrote

I think Amazon isn't a good example here, just look at the large professional dealers like B&H or Adorama:

B&H now shipping Nikon Z7 cameras to existing pre-orders - Nikon Rumors

Why would you think the BIGGEST Retailer, Online or other, in the World wouldn't be a good example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's not argue over that. The Z7 is on the street now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

B&H says "New Item - Released in Limited Qty...on a first-come-first-served basis", Adaramo says "Coming Soon...expected in a few days".  Nikon Rumors said B&H started shipping 9/27 to existing pre-release orders.  If Adobe gets theirs in a day or two, they'll have 2.5 weeks to get raw support in the expected 10/17 release of LR -- otherwise it will likely be in the expected mid-December release.

Note that historically, only 45% of new Nikon models get raw support in the LR release following the announcement: Re: Timing of Lightroom releases.  Given there's only two weeks until the expected release of LR 7.6, I'll bet lower odds here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has used pre-production cameras to create the camera profiles before official release. This review appears to indicate Adobe is already doing so (ACR 11 Beta): Raw conversions added to Nikon Z7 pre-production gallery: Digital Photography Review

What's interesting is that the Z 7 production model NEFs I downloaded  import and open in LR 7.5 on my Windows 7 system. The Profile initially shows as Camera_Standard with error message 'Profile Missing.' If I select another profile then all of the profiles work with no error message displayed. It looks like Nikon Z 7 is also using 'Built-In' lens profiles (see below). I can't find any 'Nikon Z 7' named camera profiles on my system so it's a mystery how this is working even partially.

Z7 in LR 7.5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd, that sample file has some curious XMP fields apparently inserted by the firmware:

[XMP]           Creator Tool                    : NIKON Z 7 Ver.01.00

[XMP]           Create Date                     : 2018:09:19 18:17:30.52

[XMP]           Rating                          : 0

[XMP]           Exposure 2012                   : 0.00

[XMP]           Highlight 2012                  : 0

[XMP]           Shadows 2012                    : 0

[XMP]           Luminance Smoothing             : 25

[XMP]           Luminance Noise Reduction Detail: 75

[XMP]           Luminance Noise Reduction Contrast: 0

[XMP]           Color Noise Reduction           : 10

[XMP]           Color Noise Reduction Detail    : 50

[XMP]           Color Noise Reduction Smoothness: 50

[XMP]           Sharpness                       : 40

[XMP]           Sharpen Radius                  : 2.00

[XMP]           Sharpen Detail                  : 25

[XMP]           Sharpen Edge Masking            : 0

[XMP]           Contrast 2012                   : 0

[XMP]           Saturation                      : 0

[XMP]           Camera Profile                  : Camera_Standard

Previous NEFs I've looked at included just CreatorTool and Rating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis  wrote

Todd, that sample file has some curious XMP fields apparently inserted by the firmware:

Sure looks like LR Develop settings! All of the Nikon Z 7 NEFs I downloaded from three different sites have those entries showing using ExifTool and the values vary. Those same XMP settings appear in the Develop module grayed out as if they are "default" settings. So how did they get written to the NEF file? Very bizarre!

Perhaps someone here with a Nikon Z 7 can upload a NEF to Dropbox for examination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Nikon Z7 camera and none of the Adobe software I have will open the NEF file.  Not even the Nikon software I have will open it. Yes all my software is up-tpo-date.   I'll be happy to send you an image straight our of the camera  to see if you can open it.  I trust that Adobe is planning to update their  software to accommodate whatever format this NEF file is in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Just opened and converted the Z7 NEF to DNG using the free Adobe DNG

converter 11

I also converted a single .NET to a 16-bit TIFF using Nikon's CaptureNX

Haven't looked at anything closely, but they open. Hope that helps. / jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Initially I could not get the Z7 files to open with Nikon Capture and View.  Both said they were up to date, BUT going to the Nikon website showed newer versions of each.  Downloaded them and they open Z7 NEF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of capture did you download? I just updated mine on October 5th and the NEF still won't open. I can view it in View but that is worthless if I can't edit.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture NX-D version 1.5.0 and View NX-i version 1.3.0 work with Nikon Z7 NEF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I will look at my versions to makes sure they are updated

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked my version of Nikon NX-D. It is version 1.5.0. It will not open the NEF files from the Z7. If yours opens you are lucky

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture NX 1.5.0 converts Z7 .NEF to .TIFF for me.

I prefer using free Adobe DNG converter 11 which converts Z7 .NEF to .DNG, which opens in LR and PS CC. No lens profiles and opens as Adobe Color not newer profiles, but that can be easily changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unfamiliar with DNG files. Can they be edited?

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new update is being rolled-out today. Go to the Apps tab in Creative Cloud desktop to install or click the three dots (top-right) to check for updates.

https://99jon.blogspot.com/2018/10/lightroom-classic-cc-october-update.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent! In the text reads:

"

Adobe has released the latest version of Lightroom Classic which can be installed from the Apps tab in the Creative Cloud desktop app.

-Introduces new process version P/V 5 & ACR 11.0

-Single step HDR Panorama Merge with bracketed shots

-Depth Range Masking for supported images with depth information

-Improved mask overlay and eye-dropper tool for Luminosity Masking

-Improved Tethering for Canon cameras

-HEVC video support on Mac OS 10.13 or higher

-New Camera Support

Canon EOS R

Fujifilm X-T3

Nikon COOLPIX P1000 (preliminary support)

Nikon Z 7

Panasonic LUMIX DC-LX 100 "

note the second to last line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, Nikon is including Camera raw and Lightroom develop settings in the Z7's NEF files. This is a shocking development. I tweeted this here a while ago: https://twitter.com/JvdLagemaat/status/1044396877666373632

I can't get anyone to confirm but this is clearly a sign of opening up as I can also testament from some other clues that are not public.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like all of the downloaded NEFs were shot with pre-production v.01 firmware and not v1.0 production firmware. That's why I asked for someone who has recently purchased a retail Nikon Z 7 camera to upload a NEF to Dropbox. I'm guessing the production firmware doesn't put any LR XMP data into the NEF and also why those NEF files won't import into LR 7.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some files from a production version and the xmp is still there. The

presence of the xmp doesn’t help the files be supported by Lightroom. The

next version should have support built in but no clue when adobe will

release. Will have to see until my own arrives whether the camera updates

the xmp with the settings in camera (such as profile etc). I ordered at

adorama but forgot they have their holidays right now until October 3 so

that will take a while.

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 5:57 PM Todd Shaner <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines