Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Perplexed - automatic vignette applied when switching from Library to Develop

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I've been processing photos for many years but I'm new to Lightroom. I'm very happy with the program so far, but I've started having a problem with Lightroom CC Classic where it appears to be applying a vignette whenever I switch from Library mode to Develop mode. I'm shooting RAW with a Canon 5D Mark IV.

- I understand how the embedded preview images work, and this does not appear to be consistent with the normal differences between the embedded image and the RAW image.

- I don't think the program was doing this before.  It seems like a setting changed.

- I've tried using the image reset options, made sure the camera settings were are set to the Adobe Default, verified no weird settings on import, etc.

- It is only happening on photos with no additional processing.  If I process the photos the problem goes away. I assume this is because LR is creating a preview image consistent with the edits. But I'm very confused about why it's happening on photos with no edits.

Here's links to an example:

Library.jpg - Google Drive

Develop.JPG - Google Drive

Library.jpgDevelop.JPG

I'm at a loss.  Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Your first image, the one from the Library module, is the Embedded JPG image that is included in ever RAW file. That embedded image follows any and all In Camera settings. The RAW file does Not. There are settings in Canon cameras that will raise the exposure and do other things to make the image look better. These things are not applied to the RAW data. In the Library module select the Library menu item then Previews then Build 1:1 Preview of that image.

Check your camera and reset all setting t

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your first image, the one from the Library module, is the Embedded JPG image that is included in ever RAW file. That embedded image follows any and all In Camera settings. The RAW file does Not. There are settings in Canon cameras that will raise the exposure and do other things to make the image look better. These things are not applied to the RAW data. In the Library module select the Library menu item then Previews then Build 1:1 Preview of that image.

Check your camera and reset all setting to base settings, as shipped from factory, Default setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JSM.  I think you are right, I just didn't realize how noticeable the difference there could be between a RAW and JPEG with respect to vignetting (due to the in-camera corrections only affecting the JPEG/preview image).  This is my first full frame SLR and I think the effect is way more noticeable with wide angle shots (24 mm in this case). Now than I'm able to take advantage of the full FOV of the lens I'm seeing things that I didn't get with an APS-C sensor. 

Also, I realized that I did not have the "Enable Profile Corrections" box checked in the "Lens Corrections" options.  Once I turned that on it pretty much fixed the problem. 

That said, I'm still surprised the vignetting is so dramatic when the option isn't selected. Could it really be this bad on an L-series 24-70 lens? It still seams like something's not quite right, but I'm going to put it to rest for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just the difference between the 2 file formats. It is "In Camera" settings that is causing it. For Nikon one of them is called D Lighting. Canon does something similar. There was a discussion on it just a few days to a week or so ago. Someone was complaining on how LR is applying adjustment to their RAW files. They were actually under exposing the shots and those Canon In Camera setting were making the JPG properly exposed but not the RAW file.

Sorry I can find that other discussion and I don't remember what the Canon name is for that similar feature to D Lighting in Nikon cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, that could certainly have something to do with it.  I'll experiment with the in-camera settings and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon actually has three different jpg enhancement tools: Highlight Tone Priority, Auto Lighting Optimization, and Peripheral Illumination and CA Correction. HTP reduces ISO by 1 stop and then pulls up mostly the shadows, ALO does a sort of AI analysis and tonal correction*, and Peripheral Illumination is according to profiles for supported Canon lenses. In this case it looks like a lens correction was done to the embedded jpg.

*https://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/di…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great info Elie_Di, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines