Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to import new XMP presets

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a really strange issue that I'm not able to find a solution to anywhere! There's a lot of info so please bare with me:

I'm using Lightroom Classic CC, most recent update, running on Mac.

So I'm wanting to create and sell my own presets. I'm fully aware that the new Lightroom presets have recently changed file format from LRTemplate to XMP, so the presets that I have are all XMP files. The problem is that none of these will be imported into Lightroom at all. I've tried importing through Lightroom itself, using the "+" icon under the presets tab and also directly copying into the path: Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings/User Presets. None of which are working!

I can still import presets into Lightroom, but only the old LRTemplate files, which it then immediately converts into new XMP files in the new file location! But when I try and copy XMP files directly into this new location they don't show!

It seems the only way that I'll be able to actually create functioning presets is by creating old LRTemplate presets, however I no longer have these, I only have the newer XMP files which should be enough right?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

They are fine as long as I place them directly in my User Presets folder. They don't load when you place the entire folder in the Settings folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How were these presets created if not in Lightroom? You say ” the presets that I have are all XMP files”, but not every XMP file is a preset.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So they were either created in the old version of Lightroom, and I took the newly converted XMP files, or I created them recently in the new version so they never had an LRTemplate version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GC33  wrote

So they were either created in the old version of Lightroom, and I took the newly converted XMP files, or I created them recently in the new version so they never had an LRTemplate version

Sorry, I don't understand that. If they were converted, or created in the new version of Lightroom, then why do you still need to import them?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I'm intending on selling them - I want to test their functionality to make sure that they work that's the only reason I'm importing again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So did you remove them first? I could imagine that you can't import a preset that is already present.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't thought of that. However I've just tried and it's making no difference.

Here's a link to the presets if you (or anyone else) would like to take a look and see if you can install them yourselves, that would be great -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r24S4bHabbITebVgyLeAyDcL9HgDK2q9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are fine as long as I place them directly in my User Presets folder. They don't load when you place the entire folder in the Settings folder.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem as well. Now, I can't figure out how to download these XMP files into Lightroom via my mobile device. I have tried importing them via files -> dropbox, but it seems I cannot click these XMP files. Any insight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

novaj37846566  wrote

I was having the same problem as well. Now, I can't figure out how to download these XMP files into Lightroom via my mobile device. I have tried importing them via files -> dropbox, but it seems I cannot click these XMP files. Any insight?

I don’t think you can do this in Lightroom Mobile, at least not in iOS. You’ll have to do it in Lightroom CC on desktop, then they will sync to all the mobile devices.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! Have a great day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have a similar problem like gc33. I got a preset (xmp) from a friend and tried to import it. I am using Lr Classic Vers. 9.2 and Camera Raw 12.2. This Preset (xmp format) will not be imported into Lightroom at all. I've tried importing through Lightroom itself, using the "+" icon under the presets tab and also directly copying into the path: Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings/User Presets. Without success. I tried several times and now it always says something like " all presets are already imported". I changed the name of the xmp preset file. Same result it does not show up in the the overview of the user presets on the left side of Lr in the develop module. Then I have created a preset myself, this one was displayed correctly under user presets. Any ideas why it does not work with the imported preset xmp file? Thank you very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

Jupr, initial troubleshooting steps:

1. If they end in .xmp, then they may be camera profiles rather than Develop presets. Go into Develop (with a photo selected) and click on the profile browser to see if they appear there.

untitled2.png

2. If this doesn't help, click on + > Manage Presets in the Presets pnael and see if any groups (what LR calls folders of presets) are unchecked, and if so, check them. Your presets may have gotten installed in one of those groups.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. Checked #1 and #2. No positive results. The Preset "SV_Preset.xmp" is not displayed in Lr in any preset folder. The actual user preset folder looks like this, whereas in the explorer you see there are two xmp files.

Preset Folder vs User Preset.jpg

Only my user preset "Importoptimierung.xmp" is displayed.

If I try to import the "SV_Preset.xmp" file via Menu > File > Import Develop Profiles and Presets (roughly the English translation 😉 ) it gives me a warning "Cannot import profiles and presets - all elements are already imported".

When I create a preset myself everything works fine and it also shows up in the folders of presets. I am about to check the Lr version which was used to create the "SV_Preset.xmp" file. That might be a source of this problem, but I guess that version should also be quite up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attach SV_Preset.xmp here and we can see if it imports into other LR installations and what might be going wrong. To attach it: After posting your reply, click More > Edit Reply at the bottom of the reply. Then click the little paperclip icon in the lower-left corner of the reply box. Then click Apply Edits. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to send you the xmp. It was initially created not by myself but on an other Lr installation in June 2019 (with the actual Lr Classic version at that time)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the attachment didn't appear in your reply.  You can't send attachments to the forum using email, you have to post your reply using the Web browser. After posting your reply, click More > Edit Reply at the bottom of the reply. Then click the little paperclip icon in the lower-left corner of the reply box. Then click Apply Edits. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I give it another try. You see at the bottom left I included the file an hit Apply Changes. Hope you can see the file.

2020-03-30 19_42_04-Beitrag bearbeiten - Adobe Support Community.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, the attachment isn't showing up. I'll try attaching one to this reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your efforts. Here is the link, hope you can get the file:

SV_Preset.xmp 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My attachment doesn't show up either.  Must be a bug recently introduced into the horrid forum platform that Adobe moved to last fall. I'll submit a bug report.

Meanwhile, can you upload it to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

Hmm, I imported SV_Preset.xmp into my LR 9.2 using File > Import Develop Profiles And Presets, and it imported correctly into the "D Special Looks" group in my Presets panel:

Untitled.png

A couple of thoughts:

1. Is the option Preferences > Presets > Store Presets With This Catalog enabled?

2. You could try resetting LR's preferences: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/. LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John,

thank you so much for your your message. I call this responsive!!! The solution was lying in front of my eyes and you have been directing me to that. I was always looking for the Name "SV_Preset" in the preset folder and did not really recognize that it was already showing up in the folder "D Special Looks" with the title "BW Linear Circle Dark". Please excuse that I bothered you with rather a user than a technical problem 😉 Still one thing I have to find out, why the preset is titled "BW Linear Circle Dark" and not "SV_Preset". And I just double-checked with my fellow photographer. He confirmed that this is the Preset I was searching for.

So again, thank you very much for investing your time and your help to find the solution.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got the issue resolved. Don't blame yourself -- the current presets design has caused lots of confusion, especially when people import presets from other sources and try to reorganize large numbers of presets. 

The displayed name and group of a preset are stored inside the preset's .xmp file, and there is no necessary relation between the filename and containing folder and the displayed name and group. (You can see that by editing the .xmp file in a text editor.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines