• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Does One Color A Layer (Straight Black) With A Photograph/Other Art?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Because I have the smallest sense of design, I have been elected by my team to carry out all artistic tasks for my college's annual literary magazine this year.

I designed the attached logo for the magazine's 69th year, re-purposing the abstract swirl from our first issue in 1950 (it fits the aesthetic of the era, hmm?), and now, if possible, I want to "color" the marks--the "6/yin," the "9/yang," and the hexagon/nonagon--with a mandala (which I will change to three different colors--one for each [which I know to do]) by dropping one in/atop the marks, to give the whole thing a nice Eastern feel.

If the swirl was not so intricate, I know I could simply merge it with an all-white layer, delete/erase the swirl, insert the mandala, and be good to go, but because it was drawn with what appears to be charcoal, there are a lot of empty spots inside and a lot splashing spots outside that would take forever to hollow out--the magic wand is only so good. As such, I feel there must be a way to simply "color" the area that already exists with, essentially, a photograph. Each shape is its own layer, containing nothing but the blackness: I am at least a little responsible in Photoshop .

Thanks for any and all help,

Andrew

69.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Sorry.

Forget the extra space of the right side.

copy your image nr.1

PS:

File --> new (from clipboard)

Strg+V

copy your mandala image

in PS:

Strg+V

doubleclick the 'space' after the name of your layer in layers palette (e.g. Layer 2 your mandala layer)

and set the blend options as I described (in my last Screenshot)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I understand you right.

Farbueberlagerung.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's sweet! (And I would have to know how this is done.)

But now, could you change the green seen in the image on the left to have this mandala (although I'm going to create my own later) peeking through instead? (I know it's a terrible resolution, but just for an example.)

af3ab499f36f2e29c297cd19609eb7c4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

To remove the white use Blend If in Blending options

Then make a smart object from the resulting black and transparent layer and press Ctrl+J twice so you have three copies.

On each add a layer mask and roughly select around the pattern elements .

Then clip your new colours /patterns to each smart object

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use your new pattern

Same blend If then smart object step as above . Then clip the pattern to the smart object layer (by Alt clicking on the border between the two layers in the layer panel)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually thinking about it - if you are only going to use this single pattern and want to retain the white then forget the transparency steps and just put the pattern layer above your log and set the blending mode to screen

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same - but a little different

aaab.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like the ticket, but I can't suss out the steps--those required before the step of blending options, and the alt+drag, which I understand perfectly.

What is the set up before this? For your Ebene 3 and Ebene 1 Kopie layers--how do you get them as they are seen above, with that extra space to the right as seen in the layer box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.

Forget the extra space of the right side.

copy your image nr.1

PS:

File --> new (from clipboard)

Strg+V

copy your mandala image

in PS:

Strg+V

doubleclick the 'space' after the name of your layer in layers palette (e.g. Layer 2 your mandala layer)

and set the blend options as I described (in my last Screenshot)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that was easy! I knew there was a way to carry this action out. I feel like an idiot, heh, not knowing how to do it--but how would I? Excellent help from all!

Humbled,

Andrew

P.S. Any help with the mandala would be very appreciated, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can learn/explore every day 'new' features in Photoshop.

for your mandala drawing you need Photoshop CC (IMO CC2017 as minimum)

Perhaps it is better to open a new thread for this topic. And for the beginning: Re: Is there any way to use Ps For Mandala(mehndi) Design Drawing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A lovely idea.

One more question regarding the original thread before I go:

With the "Blend If" option, I find I cannot drop something in the background now.

If I wanted a black background here, for instance (sorry for the phone-shot, my Photoshop is having problems saving), if I add a layer and paint-bucket-it black, it'll just disrupt what I have going here, dulling the effect by dragging white out of the entire image. In the future, I'm going to drop an alabaster in so the white won't be so stark, although it still looks nice now, I think .20180930_184417.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, Andrew mentioned creating his own Mandala design, which sounds like a job for Symmetry.  Can we link to your Tech Wednesday presentation on this open forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor,

I've got no objection and it is not under NDA but I'm not sure whether the links are only accessible to ACPs.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines