• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Closed captioning in file not showing up on import

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing an mxf file that has closed captioning but the caption stream is not showing up in premiere pro. I can see it in VLC. The stream info says "Codec: EIA-608 subtitles (c608), Description:  Closed captions 1, Type: subtitle". The subtitle track can then be turned on in VLC. In Switch under the inspector it shows "Format: CEA-608/708 Closed Captions" so i know the caption streams are in the file but premiere doesn't seem to be decoding them. When I right click on file in the project window and go to modify, captions is grey out. I did turn on "Include captions on import" in the preferences. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

A 2 stream mxf similar to yours (1 608; 1 708) exported from PR imported with both streams to PR. Oddly, that file in Media Info shows only the 708 stream.

I'd log this as a bug; something is not working as it should for mxf embedded caption import.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific dot version of PR?

Please post a screenshot of the file using Media Info in tree view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 12.1.2 (build 69)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've successfully imported an mxf file with an embed using that version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not been successful viewing an mxf embed in VLC, so wondering how you did that. I can only get it using a sidecar file. So mediainfo is a way to confirm the embed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot showing no caption streams in premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

media info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

info and captioning from vlc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In regards to the comment "I have not been successful viewing an mxf embed in VLC, so wondering how you did that". I just go to Subtitles/Subtitle Track and enable closed captions from there. The mxf file with captioning is coming from Grass Valley iTX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is video info from a different mxf file with both 608 and 708 captions created in premiere for a comparison.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is dropbox link to download. 1 mxf file and 2 png with media info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shared a file with one 708 and 608 streams. Caption does not import with 2018.1.2.

No clue. Doing some additional tests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 2 stream mxf similar to yours (1 608; 1 708) exported from PR imported with both streams to PR. Oddly, that file in Media Info shows only the 708 stream.

I'd log this as a bug; something is not working as it should for mxf embedded caption import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only difference I can see as far as captioning in the file from Grass Valley and the file made in Premiere is the muxing mode. The Grass Valley files has muxing mode of A/53 / DTVCC Transport whereas the Premiere files has Ancillary data/CDP. Dont know if this could be a problem or something about the way Grass valley writes cc to the file that Premiere cant read properly. Anyway hopefully they can come up with a fix on upcoming versions. Thanks for looking into this for me. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Thanks for being so responsive!

I have not had a chance to log this as a bug. I took a look, and I do not see any regarding import of files with embedded captions.

File bugs (and feature requests) here:

Premiere Pro: Hot (2586 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did this ever get fixed?  I still cant seem to import my Close Captioned mxf file and see the captions in premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an On-Going Issue..... I am using the latest Premiere Pro version 13.1.5 and it still does not decode 

EIA-608/708 A/53 / DTVCC Transport

I use  Professional Broadcast Playout software and the CC is present there as well as VLC and MediaInfo.

Only the Software that does not recognize the CC is Premiere.

Media Info - Comparison MXF with DTVCC & ANC (created by Premiere)Media Info - Comparison MXF with DTVCC & ANC (created by Premiere)MXF Export from PremiereMXF Export from PremiereMXF created with DALET - DTVCC -- NO CC in PremiereMXF created with DALET - DTVCC -- NO CC in PremiereMXF Export from Premiere - CC presentMXF Export from Premiere - CC present

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue in Premiere v22... they've got to figure this out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines