• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest version of After Effects won’t read DNX HD Quicktimes?

Enthusiast ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest version of After Effects won’t read DNX HD Quicktimes? Not sure if I’m affected by the QuickTime Drop in the latest version. The QT file is good since I can open it in QT player. After Effects shows a gray frame and the audio, no error messages

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Victor+Wolansky  wrote

More tahn a month and absolutely no answer. This is great, speaks volumes about Adobe support.

Hi Victor,

I received your files. Thank you for sending them. I sent several replies to your emails (May 17 through 25), from the same address you sent them to (aebugs). I'm sorry you didn't receive them. Maybe they got caught in your spam filter?

Important to note that posts to our User Voice page (https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/​), and the email a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNx codecs are not affected by the recent change, so it's either a problem with the file, or something specific with your installation.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/quicktime7-support-dropped.html

If you open the file with MediaInfo, so you see anything strange about the tracks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverting back to a previous version fixes the issue, the QuickTime file is OK. And tested it on another machine in here, and I can confirm that the latest version does not want to open any DNXHD encoded QT. Have tried with several files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 6 machines, all different configurations, and installing the latest version of AE breaks all my current projects using DNX encoded QTs. All of my projects, not a single one works with the latest version. This is what I would call a showstopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I track the Premiere Pro forums more than AE. Some codecs (that are not QT legacy) have issues that Adobe will fix; others not. The HAP is the top AE vote getter on the new bug fix/feature request system, and is "under consideration" (along with Victoria's comment that they are working on it).

For the PR side of DNxHD, see this latest post in a long thread in the PR forum:

Re: Future versions of Premiere Pro will no longer support Quicktime 7 era formats and codecs

I have seen other posts where components in the QT file create issues (e.g. multiple codecs), even though the codec itself is not a problem. Such issues are part of why conversion is one of the top (only?) workarounds for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone from Adobe here that can confirm the issue and what Adobe will do about it? The fact that installing the latest version breaks compatibility with all of my projects that use DNXHD is not a small thing.

Anyway to get an an official answer that they are looking into this?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see a DNX post about After Effects in the uservoice system. Start by posting one there:

After Effects: Hot (364 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link Stan, I just posted this issue, although I would not hold on to my breath, I know how miraculously is to get an official response from Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent adobe the file I have problems with, but was unable to obtain a response, not even a thanks for sending it. Using Adobe products is fine, great software, until you hit a wall and need professional help, you are on your own. I also have problems with some ProRes files, it also give me error messages.

I understand Adobe can't keep using QT forever, but it should tested it more before decide to chop it.

Victor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More tahn a month and absolutely no answer. This is great, speaks volumes about Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victor,

I received your files. Thank you for sending them. I sent several replies to your emails (May 17 through 25), from the same address you sent them to (aebugs). I'm sorry you didn't receive them. Maybe they got caught in your spam filter?

Important to note that posts to our User Voice page (https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/​), and the email address I gave you, do not go to Adobe Customer Care. Bugs and feature requests go directly to the product development teams for evaluation; all submissions are read but we do not guarantee a response. If you want to start a discussion with our staff, the best way is to contact our support team:
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Any news on this? I holding installing new versions until this is addressed.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victor,

Short version: this was fixed in the April 2018 bug-fix patch for After Effects CC, version 15.1.1. (Note that the current release is 15.1.2.) Please install the update and let us know if you see that the problem no longer occurs.

Apologies for not updating this thread that a fix was available. I forgot to leave myself a note to do that, and apparently this fix was too minor to bubble up into our public release notes. Here's what I can tell you about the problem from our engineering notes:

The source of the problem was that the QuickTime file you provided does not contain all of the expected metadata for the DNxHD media, therefore After Effects was failing to read the video tracks and would only import the audio. In previous releases of After Effects, such a file would be passed to the legacy QuickTime 32-bit process to see if it could decode the video. The legacy QuickTime 32-bit process was more tolerant of bad metadata or related problems like mislabeled tracks.

For DNxHD/HR media, After Effects will look for the metadata that Avid's encoders write which identify which flavor of DNxHD/HR is used by the video track. The file you provided appears to have been written not with Avid's encoders, but with the open source libQuickTime component, probably as part of an FFmpeg implementation, which doesn't appear to write the metadata correctly.

For After Effects (as well as Premiere Pro and other Adobe products), we worked around the problem with this file by allowing the check for the metadata to be skipped if not present. The lack of metadata in the file may have downstream consequences in how the file is decoded (the application may have to guess at certain encoder parameters), though our engineering notes indicate that both the video and audio in your file was successfully decoded in After Effects 15.1.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response. I noticed too that the Animation codec is not working either. Is this also fixed in the last version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response. I noticed too that the Animation codec is not working either. Is this also fixed in the last version?

The Animation codec is supported natively by After Effects, Premiere Pro, and other Adobe applications. Please refer our Help article for a list of supported codecs:
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/quicktime7-support-dropped.html

(Note that import of the Animation codec does not support delta frames, i.e. the "Key frame every X frames" option in legacy 32-bit QuickTime encoders.)

If you have an Animation codec file that does not import into After Effects, first please test it in the most recent version. Similar to the problem we found with your DNxHD file, we have been spot-fixing cases where we can easily work around problems.

If the Animation codec file still does not work, please send me a DM with a link to the file so we can inspect it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HAving issues with MP3s now with the latest version of AE, AME and Premiere. These MP3s comes as empty audio tracks. AE sees the right duration for the track and says the mP3 is 32 bits stereo. But not sound at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HAving issues with MP3s now with the latest version of AE, AME and Premiere. These MP3s comes as empty audio tracks. AE sees the right duration for the track and says the mP3 is 32 bits stereo. But not sound at all

Can you provide me a sample? Feel free to DM.

BTW, for reporting bugs, it's best to use our UserVoice site:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/

The forum is good for discussions, but bug reports or feature requests that you want seen by the engineering team should be posted there. (I only saw this post because I had previously replied to this thread.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023 and I am unable to open in After Effects the DN HD QTs production have sent me. I only get audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2024 and still having the same problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines