Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8's Search keywoords

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2009 Mar 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Couple of question on the new Search keywords :)

I was wondering if there is any quick way to add search keywords to multiple topics? Basically I was hoping it would work similarly to the Index where it can be centrally managed from a pod..

Second, is there any way of getting RH to read the current Index keywords from a page and assign them as Search keywords?

Thanks,
Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark.

The short answer is "no" to both questions. The search and Index are two totally different beasts and works differently. There is a post here which describes how the search works. I think you have realised that there really is no substitute for a good (and thorough) index.

BTW if you whisper very quietly and say the magic word I'm sure the RoboWizard can be summoned to tell us how he once renamed the index to "Search" and gave the users exactly what they wanted!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark

Colum is correct in that there is no pod that offers this functionality. However, you should be able to use the Topic List pod to accomplish what you want. Just select multiple topics in the Topic List pod and right-click the selection. Then choose Properties. You would then be able to click the General tab and type the keywords into the field.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick & Colum,

I had figured that there was not going to be the answer that I was looking for with this one!! But thanks for the tips on the search Colum, I'm subscribed to your blog now but I hadn't read back through all the older ones :)

Thanks for the multi-select tip Rick, that will make it slightly less painful!

I must say that the RH8 search is tonnes better than the old version, so the pain of adding keywords (and the painfully slow build times I've posted about in the WebHelp subforum) seem like a fair price to pay for something that has already proved very popular with my test users.

Can I also double check that to add multiple keywords to a topic, should they be semi-colon separated? I couldn't find a quick answer to that in the help file..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The search keywords feature looks like such an afterthought!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark

I believe you separate using a comma. Just type a comma followed by a space, then the next keyword.

@Mat - Why do you feel it looks like an afterthought? Please expound.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2009 Mar 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick - it just seems to be a small box to type in individual keywords on individual topics (although the multiple selection of topics you mentioned above does help!) And....No linking of keywords between multiple topics, no list of currently added keywords to re-add to pages (like index words).

I think that if you have hundreds of topics, as we do, then typing in each keyword manually will get a bit tedious!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick, it saves me 30-40 mins of build time in testing the separators!!

I can see where Mat D is coming from, if you compare how the Index works, and how the Search keywords work, the latter has the appearance of being "tagged on the end" when someone said "hey lets have keywords for the search too" 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I think a huge point is being missed here.

Let's assume the field is ignored and you just generate. Search *WILL* pick up all the words in the project and they are available for being found using the Search mechanism.

What this field is for is adding sort of "Search Synonyms" or common misspellings. For example, maybe you have topics that describe different graphic formats. Search would return JPG. But if the user were to be thinking phonetically and type JayPeg, of course it wouldn't be found. That's what this field is for. The occasional term like that that needs to be added.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again all

It's also worth noting that you can globally assign these by taking the following steps.

Click File > Project Settings...
Click the General tab to ensure it is in focus.
Click the Advanced... button.
Click the Synonyms tab.
There you may assign the search synonym (JayPeg in this case) and point it to JPG. You would only do it once and any topic containing JPG would be found if the user typed JayPeg.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the tips on adding synonyms globally.

Appreciate the extra clarity around how the search works, I know that it will pick up everything by default, and coupled with the new prioritisation for matches within H1 H2 etc this is a much more powerful tool than the v7 Search..

Where I'm coming from is the need is to add some "search keywords" to force certain pages to the top of the prioritisation when those specific search terms are used...

My help system is used by a customer contact centre, where the users have a customer on the line and want to find the result as fast as possible, hence I want to add these keywords to aid this process.

The synonym approach will certainly help though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark

Interesting. I say that as that is where I cut my own teeth on RoboHelp. I had the same need for the same situation.

For me, the answer was a well thought out and well implemented Index. My users loved it. Actually, I never provided a Search. Only an Index.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with you on that Rick, our Index is more popular than the Search by far, with users who have been educated in using it... but since we have a Search on the system, newer people tend to see Search and go to it as they are more familar with the term "Search"..

The RH8 Search will hopefully address the requests I get to "make the search more like Google" 🙂

I have looked at the Zoom search too, but unfortunately have no chance of getting the server-side bits added to make that work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 01, 2009 Apr 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Mark and Rick - here's a thought.

Rename the Index tab "Advanced Search" - and watch the Google searchers flock to it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Haha I like the idea! Might confuse the faithful who already know and live the Index though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp