• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant see raw file after import. jpeg and raw

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I save both jpegs and  raw files on my camera and since changing to lightroom classic cc I  can only see the jpeg in lightroom. I do understand that you should tick the box in the import dialog box to show both side by side but I only want to see the raw file. I cant seem to do that since upgrading. I also can only see the jpeg not the raw file.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

The file on the left is a raw file. The jpeg is only used as a sidecar for your raw file, not for anything else. Why do you think it is a jpeg when you work on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Debod,

Sorry that you cannot filter your imports in Lightroom Classic CC to show only the Raw images.

Ideally, as you've mentioned on the General tab of the Preferences dialogue, there's a checkbox "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos". You'll need to tick/un-tick that box to let Lightroom import both the file formats and show them together in library.

Which exact version of Lightroom Classic CC are you using? Have you tried importing just the Raw files alone with the jpeg's kept in a different location temporarily?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Akash thank you for replying. I have version 7.5. In the previous lightroom I was able to import both formats but only see and work on the raw file. Ideally I want to only see the Raw file but I save the jpeg as well so that I can use them with my Fuji App which only works with jpegs.

Will I now have to reimport all my files since the update to bring in the Raw files and how do I do that now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an option in Preferences - Treat JPEGs next to raw files as separate photos.

If you leave it unticked, LR will only show the raw files for all images you import from now on. Tick it, and you'll see both files for all images you import from now on.

To fix the problem with files you've already imported, you would have to reimport. First set the preference, then select the files and use CtrlS / CmdS to save you work back to the files. Then remove them from the catalogue - make sure you remove and don't delete! Then right click the folders and use Folder > Synchronize to reimport them. First try this on a small number of images .

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 08.31.08.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would enable the Treat JPEGS...as separate photos setting then Synchronize the folder, and import any new photos.  This should give you raws and jpgs.

Then uncheck the Treat JPEGs...as separate photos setting and synchronize the folder, again.  This should give you just the raw files.

If this doesn't work, then I'd guess the raw files aren't supported because the camera is too new, or that your camera is set to shoot only JPGs so there aren't corresponding raws.

if you'd like you can upload a raw and jpg image to somewhere like dropbox or googledrive or onedrive and post public share links to them, here, and others can try to see what happens in their LR 7.5, in case it is a bug, so Adobe can reproduce it with your files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Akash I already have the box " treat JPEGS as separate file" unticked and it is not showing the Raw files at all that is why I am so upset to be honest. It has encouraged me to go look at different software programmes as I feel that my lightroom is a mess now with about 6 months of files sitting there as jpegs and the raws not showing. I think I need to do what ssprengel suggests and tick the box and then synchronise the folder so that the raw files come through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To help an answer, please-

Post a screen-shot (or Copy&Paste) of your Lightroom System Info from the Menu: Help>System Info...

Tell us the exact Make and Model of the camera producing the raw files that will not show.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I have done that I now have the JPEGS sitting alongside the same file that is Raw and JPEGS. So the raw files are not just sitting there. It is showing that the SIDECAR is JPEG is that something to do with it?

Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 11.37.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 11.36.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding that it both cameras having the issue with Classic CC -Both Fuji XT2 and XT20 . You can see the two cameras are doing it -the one that is not showing the image name as a camera is the XT20. The XT2 is showing on the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand you do NOT want to see JPG files in the Lightroom Catalog library.

Post#3 from john beardsworth​ explains how to set preferences to 'not import' the jpgs. The raw photos will import and show as "raw+jpg" indicating that a jpg "sidecar" file exists, but is not visible in the Lr library.

Post#4 from ssprengel​ suggested the way (with two steps)  to correct your library and show only the RAF raws-

I would-

1) enable the Treat JPEGS...as separate photos setting then Synchronize the folder, and import any new photos.  This should give you raws and jpgs.

2) Then uncheck the Treat JPEGs...as separate photos setting and synchronize the folder, again.  This should give you just the raw files.

One problem I now see in your screen-clip of preview thumbnails is that you now have some files that have been renamed by the Mac OS as it recognized them as duplicates (by a 'copy' process) and added the '-2' suffix to their filename. This further complicates your library.

The different format of filenames from the different cameras is usually set in the camera's menu setup, unless you might be using a Rename Preset in the Import dialog.

I believe that the 'two step' process from ssprengel is still the best way to correct your folder in the catalog library.

The 'synchronize' process will do this in summary-  1) Add ALL files RAF & JPGs to the catalog, then 2) 'Remove' the JPGs from the catalog. (You may still see 'duplicate' RAF files with the -2 suffix!)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply and assistance. I have tried that and this is now what I still see -the files show that the Raw and JPEG are still together but when I go to work on them the file is still a jpeg. Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 1.32.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file on the left is a raw file. The jpeg is only used as a sidecar for your raw file, not for anything else. Why do you think it is a jpeg when you work on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES you are right it is the RAW file after all...I was just confused because in Lightroom Classic I used to be able to see the Fuji profiles under the Callibration Tab if it was a raw file but not if it was a jpeg. Not sure why I can't see those now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Debod  wrote

YES you are right it is the RAW file after all...I was just confused because in Lightroom Classic I used to be able to see the Fuji profiles under the Callibration Tab if it was a raw file but not if it was a jpeg. Not sure why I can't see those now...

Because the camera profiles have been moved. To the top of the Basic section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is right but it no longer seems to have the default Fuji one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Fuji camera are you using?

Shut down LR, Restart your computer and then open and test LR.

I use both a X-E2 and X-T2 and all profiles for each of those 2 cameras show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your standard profiles aren’t showing, you likely have a rogue profile

in your user profiles folder/directory. This can cause Lightroom to not

index the standard built in profiles.

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 5:06 AM Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines