• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how can you revert to an original version of your image

Advisor ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image of an old document that consists of 2 facing pages. I want to make a version of each page individually and so I cropped the image to include one of the pages.  I did some edits with exposure and color and exported it to a jpg.  Now I want to do the same thing with the other page.  But I cropped the other page out and I can't reimport the image since it's already been imported into LR.  How can I access the original image and what should I do in the future with the same scenario?  Make a copy of the image in LR so I can work on both sides separately?  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

If you cropped in Lightroom only-

1) create a Virtual Copy of the (now cropped- Page 1) image in the Grid view (shortcut=  Ctrl+'   )

2) Select the Virtual Copy and Click on the [Reset] button.  You should now see the 'original' image of "2 facing pages" re-appear.

3) Crop and Develop the Virtual Copy for Page 2.

Note that the two Previews (Original and Virtual Copy) are still referencing the one same original file, so you would need to Export each version to have separate files of Pages 1 and 2 if

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you cropped in Lightroom only-

1) create a Virtual Copy of the (now cropped- Page 1) image in the Grid view (shortcut=  Ctrl+'   )

2) Select the Virtual Copy and Click on the [Reset] button.  You should now see the 'original' image of "2 facing pages" re-appear.

3) Crop and Develop the Virtual Copy for Page 2.

Note that the two Previews (Original and Virtual Copy) are still referencing the one same original file, so you would need to Export each version to have separate files of Pages 1 and 2 if needed for a printer or such.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Where is the reset button? Isn't it supposed to be in the bottom right corner?  As you can see from my screen shot, it's not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be in the bottom right when you go into develop mode. In library (where you are now) you can reset the image using the reset all button in the quick develop section on the right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Assuming that your tone and color edits for Page 1 will be valid for Page 2 as well, there is no need to do a reset of all the edit settings; resetting and then recomposing only the crop tool will be enough:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines