Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow preview due to access to raw files rather than preview

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello together,

my problem is, that I need to have a very quick overview over hundrets of Pictures in few minutes. I want to Import and render them and then I want to rate them in library mode very quickly.

I am using a actual Lightroom classic Version on a i7 8086K, GTX1070, 16GB RAM. Catalog is on a very fast SSD and the Pictures are on an internal (slower) HDD.

Unfortunately I have always acces on my slower HDD. I tried rendering smart  preview, 1:1 preview and standard. It is always the same: it works best for 1:1 and it works as expected for few Pictures, lets say 7..8 Pictures, then Lightroom Access the HDD and I have to wait few seconds and cannot move on.

How can I render the Pictures or say Lightroom to use the preview without accessing my HDD?

Size of preview is set to automatic (3840 - I am using 4k Monitor)

Quality is set to low

Thanks a lot,

Alex

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

The trick to speeding this up is to not build previews at all but to use the built in previews from your raw files if you want to be able to do a fast initial cull. You will get little warning signs on the image when going through them but it shouldn’t try to load the raw files and generate a new preview. This is by far the fastest way to do it in Lightroom. Do realize that the camera jpeg preview will not be the same as what lightroom would generate itself from the raw but for most purposes it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at FastRawViewer.

https://www.fastrawviewer.com/?utm_source=program&utm_medium=splash&utm_campaign=FRV

Very fast rendering of Raw files, star and color tags written to XMP, Raw histogram, numerical Raw over/under exposure, focus peaking edges/details/both, batch move/copy, send to LR/PS/Bridge, etc.

Great first step Raw browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The trick to speeding this up is to not build previews at all but to use the built in previews from your raw files if you want to be able to do a fast initial cull. You will get little warning signs on the image when going through them but it shouldn’t try to load the raw files and generate a new preview. This is by far the fastest way to do it in Lightroom. Do realize that the camera jpeg preview will not be the same as what lightroom would generate itself from the raw but for most purposes it is good enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines