• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

October 2 2018 Acrobat DC Update Crashes After 10-20 seconds w/ no error message

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The subject of the discussion as typed above is the problem.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat and restarted the computer numerous times.

I have now purchased an Acrobat alternative so that I can actually work today.

Am I the only one having this issue? 

What is the solution?

Also, inability reach anyone at Adobe on the phone or by chat or email about this is really unsatisfying.

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are sorry for the issue. Could you pls. share with us the crash dumps from the windows task manager, so that we can investigate the issue at our end?

For Getting the Crash Logs:

1. When Acrobat Crashes , Open Windows Task Manager -> Got To Processes, There you can see a process "Adobe Acrobat DC" / Acrobat.exe
  2. Right Click on this process and click "Create Dump File"
  3. Dump file will be created in the Temp folder of user (as specified on the dialog you get after creating dump files)
  4. Save this DMP file on any Cloud Storage and Share the link

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

There are no Acrobat Reader or Acrobat DC processes listed in task manager

at all, so I cannot perform your instruction. I launched Acrobat DC and it

lasted again for about 10-20 seconds, and then it closed by itself with no

error message. I went immediately to the task manager processes list.

There are several Adobe processes listed, but the only processes listed

that refer at all (at least by name) to Acrobat are "Acrotray (32 bit)" and

"Adobe Acrobat Update Service".

Please advise.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 1:44 PM Vinod Dobhal <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create the following registry key :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps

Following are the steps:

1. Create the registry key LocalDumps if it is not present already.
  2. Reproduce the problem (i.e. make the application crash).
  3. Locate the crash dump file in %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps. Note that if the crashing application runs under the System account, that resolves to C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\CrashDumps.
  4. Share the crash dump file.

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I followed the steps, created the file, and shared it with you from this email address

[Email address removed by moderator for your protection. This is a public forum.]

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 2:20 PM Vinod Dobhal <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Edward,

Could you pls. share the logs through a shared drive link?

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxj4067zkb5h9wq/Acrobat.exe.19468.dmp?dl=0

Does this work? Thanks

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 11:09 AM Vinod Dobhal <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange i Reported this hours ago and mine just gets skipped over.   Following this post.

Glad they got with you and you were able to send the the dump files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the exact same thing after my DC app auto updated this afternoon. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the app numerous times from my creative cloud account and restarted my computer. Hope for a solution soon.

Thank you,

Melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also experiencing the same issue.  Can still create PDF's from external programs, and edit them, just have a 20ish second window to get things completed in.

I'm unsure how to create a dump file for the crash, however watching Task manager right before it disappears the Adobe License Utility / Console Window Host and Windows Problem Reporting all pop up for a second or so.

before crash.JPG

Would love a solution to this soon

Cheers,

Joel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi boltholedesign, melissaw55392030, @EdwardMuir,

Can you pls. replace the PPKLite.api placed in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins” with the file from the link below and then launch Acrobat.

Adobe Document Cloud

Make sure to copy the old file (PPKLite.api)  and keep it in another location. Just renaming the file would not help as it would be read again.

Note:

**Please note that once testing is done you should delete the private shared binary and revert to original or else the future updates might fail**

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seemed to work, thank you.

I do not understand the closing note in your message: "**Please note that

once testing is done you should delete the private binary and revert to

original or else the future updates might fail**"

What does that mean/what are you suggesting that I do?

Thank you.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 10:33 PM Vinod Dobhal <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Edward,

The ask is basically that after your testing is complete you will have to replace the PPKLite file shared by Vinod with the original one @ location C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins .

This is a necessary step if not done any future Acrobat updates might fail.

In case you have not taken a backup of the original PPKLite.api. Simply delete the file from location C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins and repair Acrobat.

For repair perform the following steps:

• Open control Panel-> add or remove programs
  • Right click Acrobat and select change-> next
  • Select Repair and perform the repair

This would place back the original file

Thanks,

Rupa Jannela

Acrobat Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AMD video driver being updated seems to be working on 90% of our machines.

Wow. And you are welcome…..

D. Scott Stabb, MCSA

[Email address and personal contact info removed by moderator for your protection. This is a public forum.]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This electronic mail transmission may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message, any part of it, or any attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please delete this message and any attachments from your system without reading the content, and notify the sender immediately of the inadvertent transmission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more query, is there any folder redirection applied or are you using virtual environments or have DFS file system?

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Carbonite backup and Microsoft One Drive, but nothing else like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Edward,

We would like to get some more logs from your system to confirm the findings. Pls. follow the below instructions:

I have shared a tool to collect detailed logs from the affected system at the link Adobe Document Cloud

1. Download the zip file
  2. Unzip the file to any location
  3. Double click AcroMon.exe from the location
  4. Check Advanced Logging
  5. Choose the target application (Acrobat or Reader).
  6. Choose Start. The application is launched automatically.
  7. If a User Account Control prompt appears, choose Yes to give the Process Monitor permission to run.
  8. Perform the workflow where you are seeing the problem (the crash or freeze).
  9. Choose Stop Monitor.
  10. If a User Account Control prompt appears, choose Yes to give the Process Monitor permission to run.
  11. Choose Exit.
  12. Wait for AcroMonitor icon to disappear from the taskbar (if it does not close, choose Exit).
  13. Go to %temp%/AcroMon/ to view the logs (C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\AcroMon)
  14. Zip and send us the logs

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This stopped the random shutdown.  Also reverted back to the original file as suggested and shutdowns haven't re-occurred.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Vinod - replacing the ppklite.api is the ONLY fix that worked for me.  Why hasn't Adobe made this fix available in an update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just an update, after testing the PPKLite.api originally, the issue stopped.  Then it began occurring again around the 10th of December.

I've just re-replaced the PPKLite.api and the issue has again stopped.  Not an ideal fix for the situation, as rickl55 suggested, is there a permanent fix for this coming out as an update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines