• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please help! How to stop adobe trying to open when I need to open a doc file link???

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I would love some help if someone knows the answer to this as it is driving me nuts! :-0

My son's school uses 'show my homework'. Teachers usually link a document to a piece of homework (usually a docx file). When you click on the link there are usually some options as to which application you want to open it with. I once made the mistake of pressing adobe pdf's for all these file types. And now of course when I click on the link adobe tries to open the file and I get a warning sign saying:

Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open 'big_issue_2-8.docx' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

I have tried a few things and can't seem to undo what I have done. As you may imagine it's driving me nuts and I have to open the link on my phone and email it to self and then open it to print 😕

Any help will be gratefully received!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it's Mac os High Sierra, 10.13.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, thanks for the link. However, I can't click on the file in Finder as the link is to be downloaded online (from show my homework). If i drag the document into Finder and then try to open it is says:

'“compsci” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer' and

'Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App Store and identified developers.

Firefox downloaded this file today at 21:14 from www.showmyhomework.co.uk.'

I have tried changes security preferences to allow installation to something else, but the only options are from the app store and identified developers.

When I control click on the file itself online, the options it gives are quite different to the options if a file is control clicked in Finder ie: none of which give me the option to change opening app as far as I can tell...?Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 21.33.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it's Mac os High Sierra, 10.13.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines