• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors off moving image from LR to PS

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I take an image from LR to PS using 'Edit In' the colors are completely off. I update PS yesterday and I have never had any issues before. I check my external editing preferences and they are the same as before. Any help on what to do next?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

In Photoshop > Working Spaces > RGB, you have your display profile. Don't do that, it breaks color management.

Working RGB needs to be a standard color space like sRGB IEC61966-2.1, Adobe RGB, or ProPhoto. Those are the profiles you would use as embedded document profile.

The display profile created by the Spyder is set up at system level automatically. Photoshop will find it there and use it, without any intervention from you. This is a standard profile conversion from the document profile and in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be helpful if you could post screenshots that show the problem, and also tell us the exact versions you are running of Lightroom (go to Help > About Lightroom) and Camera Raw (in Photoshop go to Help > About plugins > Camera Raw).

Also please tell us what OS you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also show us a screenshot of the color settings in Photoshop (edit menu). Make sure there that all the color management policies are set to "preserve embedded profiles" and that the checkbox to desaturate colors by 20% is not checked.

Most problems of color differences between photoshop and Lightroom are caused by a bad monitor profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those settings are correct. I would change the preferred profile in Lightroom to prophotoRGB but that doesn't matter very much. This means that the likely culprit is the monitor profile. How are you calibrating your monitor? If you are not calibrating, go to your monitor's properties panel and in the color management tab, delete any profile you see associated with the monitor and retest. If you calibrate, recalibrate using your hardware calibrator.

Calibration is extremely important and if you are not I highly recommend you get yourself a calibrator or rent/borrow one.

If none of this helps, one last thing that could be going wrong (but is rare) is the GPU acceleration can sometimes lead to strange color results. Turn it off in both Photoshop and Lightroom to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Yes, I use a Spyder pro for calibration. I will try that and report back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes the calibration files get overwritten by windows updates and you'll need to redo the calibration as the profiles installed by such updates are invariably bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hang on. Why do you have your display profile as working RGB? You should never do that. It's not the immediate issue here, because the Lightroom-embedded profile should still be used - but in other circumstances it will break normal color management.

In this case I suspect a version mismatch between Lightroom and ACR. Camera profiles were completely overhauled between X.2 and X.3, and if one app is left behind the wrong camera profile will be used, changing the appearance.

Make sure Lightroom is at 7.5 and ACR at 10.5. Sometimes updates aren't showing in the CC app, so you think you have the "latest" but really don't. In this case both must be at dot-five.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PS? Where do I go to change this? I'm not great at this and could use some direction on where to fix. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop > Working Spaces > RGB, you have your display profile. Don't do that, it breaks color management.

Working RGB needs to be a standard color space like sRGB IEC61966-2.1, Adobe RGB, or ProPhoto. Those are the profiles you would use as embedded document profile.

The display profile created by the Spyder is set up at system level automatically. Photoshop will find it there and use it, without any intervention from you. This is a standard profile conversion from the document profile and into your display (Spyder) profile. This conversion is performed by Photoshop on the fly, as you work.

In other words, run the Spyder software and then don't do anything. It's all handled automatically.

Did you check Lightroom and Camera Raw versions? Not "latest", but which versions, specifically? Please do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC - just updated both programs to latest version yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

McGonzophoto  wrote

When I take an image from LR to PS using 'Edit In' the colors are completely off. I update PS yesterday and I have never had any issues before. I check my external editing preferences and they are the same as before. Any help on what to do next?

The item marked correct is absolutely something you need to check on, Photoshop and LR should not be using sRGB or any 'canned' RGB working space as a display color space for previews.

But I'd like to add: always view comparisons of such images by first being in and only in the Develop module for LR but also important, have the zoom ratio set to 100% (1:1) in both applications. When you zoom out farther, the software has to subsample the image for the zoomed out preview and differing applications can often end up showing different colors as a result.

If this still persists after you properly setup the display profile, try recalibrating again to build a new ICC profile. The older one might be corrupted. Lastly, never let your software build what is called a V4 spec ICC profile. There is usually a preference for this and the default is usually for V2 which is what you want. But sometimes people set the software otherwise and V4 profiles can be problematic.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the working space should absolutely be set to a standard space and not a monitor profile, in this case the setting has no effect  as the preserve embedded profiles policies are set and the images will come into photoshop with whatever is set up in Lightroom's preferences. So it doesn't have anything to do with the observed problem. Should be fixed but is not what is wrong here. It's likely simply  a bad monitor profile or the age old problem of not looking at images with a lot of noise at 1:1 zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's exactly what I said in post #9. It's not the immediate problem here, just something worth pointing out to complete the picture.

And that's why I keep asking the OP for Lr and ACR version number. I think this is a camera profile mismatch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the first screen-shot the LR is 2015, which is definitely not the "latest". And it will be using the old DCP profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

elie_di  wrote

According to the first screen-shot the LR is 2015

Then there you have it (I didn't notice that).

Surprisingly often now, the CC app seems to get stuck in reporting available updates. I have no idea why. But with the camera profile overhaul from version 7.3, people certainly notice it, whereas they didn't before and just kept happily working with old software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, so lately I have been having the same problem with over saturated LR images in Photoshop(plus I have a Spyder 5 Pro calibrator as well). What I did differently was I re calibrated my display(still not sure if that did the trick) and I check marked used graphics processor in Lightroom(Edit / Preferences / Performance). Now the colors align between Lightroom and Photoshop but I've run into over saturated images after export

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>but I've run into over saturated images after export

This is likely due to using a wide gamut monitor with applications that are not color managed. On windows many applications are not color managed and images will often look oversaturated on a wide gamut monitor. Make sure the application you use to view images are color managed. Internet explorer (or whatever microsoft calls their browser now) for example is NOT color managed and will not show you correct color on a wide gamut display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like another bug with GPU set to be on.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The traditional color management checklist is short and manageable:

• embed the document profile
  • make sure your monitor profile is valid and healthy
  • use color managed software that reads both these profiles and converts correctly

If something doesn't display correctly, it's one of these three. Color management works out of the box and is not difficult in itself - the problems start when color management stops, usually in #2 and 3.

Recently we've seen a couple of nasty varieties that are difficult to diagnose. One is that applications may use the wrong monitor profile in a dual display setup. This is quite frequently seen with ACR and Bridge, and possibly Lightroom. I suspect this may be more widespread than generally acknowledged, but passing unnoticed or ignored if those two displays are roughly similar. With wide gamut displays it gets rather more urgent.

Another is buggy video drivers. Over time, more and more of the color management chain is handed over to the GPU.

And then the third, which is the OP's problem here. This is an outright Adobe bug. They forgot to instruct ACR to preserve incoming camera profiles, if the incoming camera profile is an older version than the current new default. This is normally a non-issue as the defaults remain the same - except after the total overhaul in Lightroom 7.3 and ACR 10.3.

This last one isn't strictly "color management" as such, it's not part of the icc profile chain. But in a wider sense it is, and the results of a problem are the same: wrong colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines