• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

syncing to a new laptop with desktop computer

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to setup creative cloud on my new laptop. I want to be able to sync the two computers. I have created a collection on my desktop computer and want to sync this to my laptop so I can edit, but it's not working. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why.

@

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

juliem5000610  wrote

I am trying to setup creative cloud on my new laptop. I want to be able to sync the two computers. I have created a collection on my desktop computer and want to sync this to my laptop so I can edit, but it's not working. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why.

@

Sounds like you use Lightroom Classic on both computers and want to sync their catalogs? That is not possible. You can only sync one Lightroom Classic catalog with the cloud, not two. You would have to install and

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi juliem5000610,

Sorry that you're having problems with syncing your collections from desktop computer to your laptop.

It seems you're using Lightroom Classic CC on both the computers, but we're not sure so please let us know the name and version number of the products you have installed on both computers.

To verify that you have the most recent version of Lightroom:

Choose Help > System Info.

Are you getting any error message in Lightroom while syncing? Please check that sync is enabled on both the computers and you're logged in with correct Adobe ID as well.

Image result for pause sync lightroom classic

• Then in Lightroom> Preferences> Lightroom Sync (showing Lightroom mobile in below screenshot)>>Sync activity menu: Image result for sync status lightroom classic preferences

• Provide us a screenshot of what the above menu looks like at your end and we'll follow up with next troubleshooting steps.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are screen shots from my desktop computer.

I'll provide screen shots from my laptop in a minute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just signed in to lightroom on my laptop and it has started syncing!! Maybe the signing out and back in has helped.

I'll give it some time to finish and hopefully everything will be working. I will let you know in the morning.

Regards

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the update Julie. Glad that things have got back to work. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning Akash

It would seem that all is not good. Some of the images synced, but not all. This morning on my laptop I have made some adjustments to the images which did sync across, but the changes have not appeared in the images on my desktop.

So, two questions: 1. why didn't all the images I put in the collection sync to my laptop? & 2. Why haven't the changes I made on my laptop synced to the desktop?

To be able to sync does the sync need to be switched on in both computers at the same time? When I turn on sync on my desktop I get the message which was in my previous screen shot about only being able to sync a single Lightroom catalog, and that I am currently syncing Lightroom Catalog.lrcat would I like to sync Lightroom catalog-2.lrcat?

I know there are two catalogs, I presume one is from the previous version of Lightroom CC when it changed to Lightroom Classic CC.

Regards

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked the system info on both computers and the name and version are the same on both:

Lightroom Classic version: 7.5 [1186149]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I know what I have done wrong. I have Lightroom Classic CC installed on both computers. I think I should have installed Lightroom CC on my laptop - is that correct?

So, what can I do now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

juliem5000610  wrote

@

Sounds like you use Lightroom Classic on both computers and want to sync their catalogs? That is not possible. You can only sync one Lightroom Classic catalog with the cloud, not two. You would have to install and use Lightroom CC on the laptop if you want to work like this.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did install Lightroom on my Laptop, and there is a lightroom catalog on my laptop - I was away for a couple of days and wanted to edit some images on my laptop whilst away. I didn't try to sync anything before I left, just installed the program on my laptop so I could use it.

The catalog on my laptop is Lightroom Catalog.lrcat, but the catalog my desktop saves to is Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat. Is this what is causing the problem?

I feel like I just want to uninstall everything and start again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

juliem5000610  wrote

The catalog on my laptop is Lightroom Catalog.lrcat, but the catalog my desktop saves to is Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat. Is this what is causing the problem?

No. As you have been told twice in this thread, you can only "sync" a single catalogue.

A second problem is what people mean by the word "sync".

In Adobe-speak, it refers to the feature which syncs photos and your work via Adobe's Lightroom Mobile servers to iPads, phones and to other computers. If that's what you mean:

1. enable sync in your catalogue on your desktop
  2. install LRCC on your laptop and use it just like Lightroom Mobile on your phone or tablet (its features are on about the same level)

In normal language, we might often use "sync" to mean having the same catalogue available on other computers and always up to date. If that's what you mean:

1. install Classic on both computers
  2. keep the catalogue on Dropbox or something similar
  3. whenever you close Lightroom, ensure that Dropbox has synced the catalogue up to the cloud before closing the computer
  4. whenever you open Lightroom, ensure that Dropbox has synced the catalogue down from the cloud before starting Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you John. I do acknowledge that I had not understood the differences between LR Classic and LRCC. I followed instructions from adobe website but they did not say to install LRCC on the laptop. I wish they had used totally different names for these two programs.

Now that I do understand, I will go with your second option since I have already installed LR Classic on my laptop.

Rather than use Dropbox for the catalog I think I can use Microsoft One Drive, just need to work out how (this is all new to me so still learning about it).

Thank you for helping to clarifying this for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines