Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish Online privately?

Participant ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Who's gonna be able to find / see my presentations/drafts/etc I share to my collegues through Publish Online?

I don't wanna anyone to find documents – any other than to whom I share the specific link to the file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo can't make the link "secret", but realistically I don't think others are likely to stumble across it (unless someone publishes the link).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How could ANYONE "STUMBLE across it"?

I don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s the point…they couldn’t.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, the Publish Online URLs include a long string of characters that are *undiscoverable*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a bit of searching, found this. Not sure if the content owner wanted it to be found, but it is very good.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/f49ac87d-7aa3-4cf7-822e-841d674bbc92

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a nice example. It looks like just one page of a larger document, though.

Curious, there is no SEO on Publish Online pages, how did you search? Or did you type in random strings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just.

adobe.com/view

You might be surprised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get a 404

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it from Google search, and only got one reply that was a valid Publish Online project, at the very top. All else were references to info about Publish Online. Am I missing something?

toss.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it depends on where you search from.

Here is a screen shot. Again I do not think the content owner will mind.

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 21.37.39.png

https://indd.adobe.com/view/094e6309-c99d-43c9-987e-d3fa23cf5ccb

Is there an option to make you link visible to the world in Publish Online?

If we did a bit more digging I am sure we can find some more.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is quite of lot stuff here.

I wonder if this is some sort of data breach, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, actually, I don't see a lot of stuff, at all.

I see this one document, which is the same one that came up in my search, but no others. Only the one. I also don't see the original example you mentioned.

So I'm not sure there's much of a concern here. Though I don't know why this one page is coming up in such a search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is quite a lot of stuff, most seems to intended. Which is good.

That is an odd link, and the one with the map.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/f49ac87d-7aa3-4cf7-822e-841d674bbc92

https://indd.adobe.com/view/094e6309-c99d-43c9-987e-d3fa23cf5ccb

As they are direct links found through a simple search. I wonder what search expert could find.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would add that, going several pages deep in the search results, there are other Publish Online URLs (indd.adobe.com....), however, they are links that appear on other pages, with the other, top-level page coming up in the search result. This makes sense, as those top-level pages have SEO/metadata. The actual Publish Online pages do not. (Which some folks actually consider a drawback, as they'd like the Publish Online pages to come up in a search.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a lot that can be found.

Here is another that probably does not mind.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/4101c945-e727-40d5-b0c8-8bde9cab4dc5

There are a lot!

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, "view" in the URL means it has been embedded in another page. Again, not surprising these URLs are found. If you link to a Publish Online page, or embed it in your web page, it can be found. Not a big deal.

And back to the original question, if a stand-alone Publish Online link is created, it cannot be found by accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google search.

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 22.31.27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"FWIW, "view" in the URL means it has been embedded"

Hmm, I think you might be wrong.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are right, I am wrong. I mistakenly thought "view" was part of the iFrame info for the embed code, but it is, in fact, part of every Publish Online URL.  I would be willing to bet, however, that these are links which appear on some other page. Therefore, no security breach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I could list loads of links, not going to.

There is a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure there is a problem.

I believe these links appear in search results because the Publish Online document is linked to from another page. By one example shown in your screen shot above, go to this page, scroll down to the Risk Magazine link, and you will go to the InDesign page you found in your search results.

Risk Management Institution of Australasia | RMIA

Also, everyone who uses Publish Online should be clear it is not a SECURE url. While I maintain it is not easily discoverable, and no one can simply guess what it is, if the URL is shared, or appears in search results, anyone can then see the page.

For users who WANT their info to be seen and found, not a big deal. And back to the original question, I do think a stand-alone page, that is not a link on another page, can be safely shared privately with others and little to no risk. But it should not contain info that needs to be secure, such as SSN, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are wrong. Look at the url under the main title, it is a direct link to the Publish Online. You are going through the parent page. My search was "https://indd.adobe.com/view" which revealed a direct link to Adobe servers offering up the page.

As far as the OP question, do not do it if you want your data secret. Well, actually, don't put it on the internet it you want it to be secret.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is one of my very own. Not embedsed.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/ea8ad671-ea92-4a88-b512-c3de38694224

Any way, Adobe seems to be exposing other peoples content.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just because you don't see it, does not mean it is not there. I found these links in a simple search.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines