• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Importing Catalogue - Unable to Move Folder to New Location

Participant ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon Guys.  I hope you can help me with something.

I have a travel laptop where I download and edit photo's on the go.  I also have a PC connected to an external hard drive where I store all of my photographs.

After following a tutorial I did the following steps to move the Lightroom catalogues from my laptop to my pc.

Export folders as a catalogue - I saved this to a Transcend hard drive - there were 10 folders - names Temporary Vacation Folder

I connected the Transcend hard drive to the desktop - File - import from another catalogue and browsed for the folder on the Transcend hard drive.  I selected add new photo's to catalogue without moving.

That was OK - Lightroom is reading the photographs from the temporary folder on the Transcend hard drive.

However, I want to move these photo's to my Hitachi hard drive which is connected to the desktop and stores all of my images.  I tried to drag one of the 10 folders down into a folder called Foreign Travel.  It seemed to be going through the motions but then came up with a message that it was unable to move the photo's.  It did create a folder on the Hitachi hard drive in Foreign Travel but it was empty.  The photo's remain in the temporary folder on the Transcend hard drive.

Please can anyone tell me why the images aren't moving into another folder?  Am I doing the correct method?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using the correct method, so I don’t know why it does not work. What you could try to do is the following. Manually copy the folders to the new destination. Then in Lightroom, right-click on one of the folders and choose ‘Update folder location’. In the dialog that follows navigate to the folder in the new location and select it. That will ‘reconnect’ the folder in Lightroom to the new location. You would have to do this for each of the ten folders, or you could do this all at once by choosing the ‘Temporary vacation’ parent folder in Lightroom and selecting the ‘Foreign Travel’ on the disk. If the latter contains other travel images as well, you will get a dialog about existing folder and do you want to merge them. Click the Merge button.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JohanEL54 - thank you for coming to my rescue once again!

Please can you tell me - once I've moved the folders to my Hitachi drive and linked them - what do I do with the LRCAT folder on the Transcend hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don’t need that catalog anymore, so you can trash it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much - all done and working!  I really appreciate your help again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines