• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF popup issues

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing a large amount of mouse click work for my particular project.

I've got a PDF form where users can enter input and a glyphicon for more information that when clicked, displays a modal covering the entire pdf with the details specific to that icon.

I'm receiving all sorts of mixed results, from a complete success to the popup appearing under select input fields and to be honest, the list of visibility in the "Buttons and Forms" section won't allow you to expand so it's a rather large headache to test then see what wasn't clicked.

I had attempted to create one vail, or overlay to sit under all the content, but it seems that InDesign does not respect the layering order in the layers panel when exported otherwise I'd not be seeing these broken results. If they button is selected to be "Hiden until triggered" it should stay hidden and when called, come to the front of the document, much like z-index in css. But it doesn't and it seems you have to select everything under the sun to be hidden for visibility for each and every button that triggers a popup. Seems a bit excessive.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why or how to workaround? I'd have this made as a web form in no time but this particular application, I have to make a PDF.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

It has little to do with InDesign and great deal to do with the format itself. It’s not likely to work on mobile devices at all and outside of Acrobat or Reader on desktops it’s a complete crapshoot.

You could always try to add the interactivity in Acrobat. Might be easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround is not using a PDF.

This sounds like a perfect use case for an online form on a webpage. Lots of plugins that can help with it.

I wrote this a couple of years ago. It’s only gotten worse since.

https://www.boblevine.us/its-okay-to-say-no-to-interactive-pdf/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I missed the last line in your post but it’s best to explain why web is a way better route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not disagreeing, as I'm a front end web-dev by trade, but I've been tasked with making these interactive PDF's and they have to have these popup's.

Seems to be a half baked idea and implementation in InDesign given the amount of steps/hoops to jump through. For a single and simple one, sure, but having more than one, it get's convoluted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read my blog post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just finished it a minute ago and saw your reply. Yes, I do agree with the points you've made. I just wish that others who have made this request of me would also understand.

The feature itself is broken and does not provide a straightforward way to accomplish what I am looking for.

Sure, simple things it's fine fore but for 8 or more of these info boxes that I'm trying to create, it's just a bloody logistical nightmare, but could be easier to implement if the code for the feature was refactored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It has little to do with InDesign and great deal to do with the format itself. It’s not likely to work on mobile devices at all and outside of Acrobat or Reader on desktops it’s a complete crapshoot.

You could always try to add the interactivity in Acrobat. Might be easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines