Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Size Limit

Contributor ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I keep getting a message saying "Could not create a JPEG that met your 3000k bytes. Please increase the file size limit". As you see, I took it to 3000k but still got problems.

I usually keep the limit to 1000k. I try to keep the size down for web pages.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

BigDingus  wrote

Not sure what you mean by 'Lower the quality'.

Instead of setting it to 100 in quality, try 85 or so. Even if that doesn't work, here's why:

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Lightroom JPEG Export-Quality Settings, Full-Resolution Examples

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the file size limit error, could you please share a screenshot of your export settings?

Also, which exact version of Lightroom you're working on and which operating system are you using?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 7.5 Release Camera Raw 10.5 on Windows 10 Pro

screen_2018-10-11 17.22.32.jpg

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried this on my Mac, no issue.

Can you try saving to a different drive?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please let us know the size (Width & Height) of the original image that you're trying to export?

The file size of the image is affected by the size of the image (The pixel aspect ration) as well as the quality of the image.

Could you try lowering the quality of the image and then set the file size limit and let us know if it helps?

If that doesn't help then try setting the quality to 100 and then let us know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TDD tried a different drive but same issue.

The original one was 31.1MB RAW at 3456 x 5184.

Exporting at 100% works fine. However, this gives a file size of 22.9mb, which is too big for a web site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, no human can tell the difference between a JPG exported from a RAW at quality 100 (which is not 100%) and quality 80 without extreme magnification of the image. Furthermore, if you want this export to go to a web site, you don't need quality 100 anyway, and reducing the quality to 70 or 80 will greatly reduce the file size.

If you really want to export for a web site, then reduce the dimensions of the exported photo in the Image Resizing section.

But the bottom line is that you can't export this 3456x5184 image at quality 100 and get it to be less than 3MB. Impossible. That's what Lightroom is saying. You have to change at least one of your settings somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BigDingus  wrote

Instead of setting it to 100 in quality, try 85 or so. Even if that doesn't work, here's why:

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Lightroom JPEG Export-Quality Settings, Full-Resolution Examples

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BigDingus  wrote

TDD tried a different drive but same issue.

The original one was 31.1MB RAW at 3456 x 5184.

Exporting at 100% works fine. However, this gives a file size of 22.9mb, which is too big for a web site.

dj-paige is correct in his post 11.

The problem you are having is that it is impossible to take your original RAW image and export it with the settings you have chosen, and get an exported JPG that is 3M or less. Impossible. That is what Lightroom is telling you.

You are trying to export at the original dimensions of 3456 x 5184 px and limit the file size to 3000k.  Lightroom is telling you it can't be done.  You have to either decrease the dimensions or increase the file size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok guys.

dj.

I rarely use 100 quality when exporting. I usually use 1000K as anything bigger slows everything down if there are lots of images to download. I only tried it as it was requested suggested earlier.

My problem isn't exporting at 100 quality. It's exporting at 1000k. web pages don't need anything like perfect quality. Especially on modern devices. Hence 1000k is usually fine.

TDD

Good link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I see that the quality for JPEG isn't 100 in your screen capture so that's certainly not it. And as I said, on this end, no issues. So one of the old standbys is deleting LR preferences just for grins, can't hurt, sometimes helps:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my end, on the Mac, I also see something odd I've never noticed. And I see it on your end too. When you select Limit File Size, the Quality slider grays out, and I have no idea why. Also on my end, when I type "3000" into K field, it resets to 3,000 but yours under windows shows 3000. OK subtle differences but odd and I suspect that's a bug (the two OSs should appear the same).

I set my export dialog exactly as you did (from what I can see, some areas are closed) and again, it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thedigitaldog  wrote

When you select Limit File Size, the Quality slider grays out, and I have no idea why.

That would be natural, wouldn't it? With fixed pixel dimensions, no resizing, the compression (Quality) is the only variable left to meet the file size requirement. So it'll have to float. Or am I missing something?

And of course, for web 3456 x 5184 is a bit optimistic, unless you want full screen on a 5K display. But then it would be 2x scaled by the browser anyway, and still appear way too large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

thedigitaldog   wrote

When you select Limit File Size, the Quality slider grays out, and I have no idea why.

That would be natural, wouldn't it? With fixed pixel dimensions, no resizing, the compression (Quality) is the only variable left to meet the file size requirement. So it'll have to float. Or am I missing something?

But the quality doesn't update no matter the size I enter. I have to unlock Limit File Size, then alter it, then enter a size. Why can't I enter a size and a quality for compression, or why doesn't it update if I alter the size? Dunno, never used this before in such a way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thedigitaldog  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse   wrote

thedigitaldog    wrote

But the quality doesn't update no matter the size I enter. I have to unlock Limit File Size, then alter it, then enter a size. Why can't I enter a size and a quality for compression, or why doesn't it update if I alter the size? Dunno, never used this before in such a way.

When you chose “limit file size” isn’t the only thing Lr can change is the compression to try to get the size you designate?  This is the reason the slider is grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, graying out makes sense but seeing the previous setting confused me. I’d blank out any value but I see your point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so you are not exporting at quality 100.

The problem you are having is that it is impossible to take your original RAW image and export it with the settings you have chosen, and get an exported JPG that is 3M or less. Impossible. That is what Lightroom is telling you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Quality slider is greyed out when Limit file size to is checked, and it just displays the last setting used without Limit file size checked. Quality is set automatically when Limit file size is checked, and I guess it will use the highest possible setting that doesn't exceed the file size you have entered.

My guess is that the jpg cannot be created because of the nature of the image.

Because of the way jpg compression works, sharp and/or noisy, busy images will always result in larger file sizes than flat, soft images. (the difference in file size can be quite dramatic)

And the high output sharpening you're using will also add to the file size.

As pointed out by others, you should reduce pixel dimensions to something sensible when exporting for web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TDD. I can export any quality, all the way up to 100 without a problem.

I can also set the k size up to 10,000k and lightroom accepts the input. It just fails to do it.

I tried your presets link but none worked.

I also just tried increasing the size of the K export. It now works at 2000 and above where it didn't before.

I can live with 2000.

I think there is indeed a bug.

Cheers for helping guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines