• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Random Space Between Footnote Number and Footnote Text?

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are putting footnotes in our book document, but found that as soon as a footnote reaches the number 10, it adds this space between the footnote number and the footnote text. We have checked our Character Styles (none are applied, Paragraph Styles (they are the same as the ones applied to numbers 1-9), and tried to adjust our tabs and indents, but nothing has fixed it yet.

We are desperate for help. If you have any suggestions, please let us know.

Here is a screenshot of the issue.

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 9.47.55 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

I can't quite tell what you have defined between the footnote number and the footnote text, but it is definitely not a tab and it should be.

You can control what appears in that space via Type > Footnote Options. Once you remove whatever is there and replace it with a tab, you can set a left-align tab that will offer consistent spacing.

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-10-11 10.49.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the footnote settings contain the Tab symbol between the number and the text. Yours is quite small, so when the number achieves 10 (2 digits), it becomes longer than the tab space. You have to change the Tab option in the Paragraph style which you use for your footnotes.

If anything here needs to be explained more clearly, just ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't quite tell what you have defined between the footnote number and the footnote text, but it is definitely not a tab and it should be.

You can control what appears in that space via Type > Footnote Options. Once you remove whatever is there and replace it with a tab, you can set a left-align tab that will offer consistent spacing.

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-10-11 10.49.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone figure out what that character is? I'm too lazy to hunt down my hidden characters glossary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Erica,

I guess this special characters indicate something like index markers.

Not exactly index markers, but I think we are seeing one FEFF special character followed by a blank.

FEFF-followed-by-Blank-Character.PNG

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines