Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a graphic to TOC fitting on page problem

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Complicated title I know. 😃

Making a book and the first page is the cover. Page 5 is the TOC. I placed the cover image, the right clicked and used "fitting" to make it appear almost full size on the page. Later I went and tried to add the word "cover" above the image, but the cursor was the size of the image. then I thought to add a caption to the image, in the style that would be included in the TOC, but while it set up correctly (caption) i don't see it on the page at all...

The plan was to have the word "cover" make it invisible and have it appear in the TOC...instead I get the entire image in the TOC.

help?

thanks so much

carrie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Hi Carrie:

You can set a particular paragraph style to split (start a new page) via Window > Paragraph Styles > Panel menu > Edit all Export Tags or via editing the paragraph style > Export Tagging.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carrie:

How about adding the word "Cover" to the pasteboard so that it appears in its own frame? Remember to assign the paragraph tag to it that you are using to call it into the TOC. If you don't want the word "Cover", you can drag it back over the frame with the cover image, and then send it to the back.

It also sounds like perhaps the image is an inline graphic, which means it is sitting on a ¶, and that is why it is being called into the TOC.  You can select it, cut it, delete the text frame it was in, and then paste it into a graphic frame with the Selection tool.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, 😃 tell me if i did this right....

i made a text box in the middle of the cover image, wrote cover in it (there's also a hashtag in the box?), then clicked on it added the paragraph style, and clicked "move back"....now i can't see it, but it also doesn't appear in the toc...

as for the image itself, i had originally before i started this thread, deleted it, deleted the text frame, added in a rectangle frame tool and placed the cover image in it...

ok, tell me what i all did wrong..lol...i didn't know how to add the text to the pasteboard itself...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you did it all correctly. Did you update the TOC?

I am happy to take a look at the file, if you want to share it on dropbox. You can add a link to this thread (public), or hover over my name and message me the link (private).

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I'm seeing:

Screenshot 2018-10-12 12.58.17.pngScreenshot 2018-10-12 12.58.30.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, is there any way to make them further apart without adding in something like hard returns? or does it not matter in an ebook?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize, but I’m still not sure what you’re asking for. Do you want to add space between the paragraphs?  Spacing within the lines of the paragraphs? Spacing above or below the title?

Are you creating a reflowable ePub or a fixed layout ePub?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the dedication and acknowledgements are on different pages, but the way they show up is one right after another, so it looks like they are all on one page....it runs together..is that normal? or can i put more space between the two pages?

and reflowable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carrie:

You can set a particular paragraph style to split (start a new page) via Window > Paragraph Styles > Panel menu > Edit all Export Tags or via editing the paragraph style > Export Tagging.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much for sticking with me barb...i appreciate it! it works now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help, Carrie!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to see the caption on the cover page?

what do you mean with the "hard retrns"?

If you wish each section to start at the new page, just choose "On the Next Page" in Paragraph Style > Keep Options > Start Paragraph for your titles.

But don't choose it for thr lines of TOC!

Epub keeps the page breaking if you set it in the paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much...i had done that once somehow fot the toc...what a disaster! 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines