Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Troubleshoot "Create a New Script"

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2009 Mar 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm using Captivate 4 and want to update a variable to show what topics have been covered in a menu. However, after creating a variable, I cannot create a script. According the the Help file it should be located by selecting Project->Actions->Advanced Actions->Edit/Create Action menu->Create a New Script. Well, I get all the way to the "Create a New Script" and the only option I have is to "Create a New Action". Am I doing something wrong or missing a step?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 29, 2009 Mar 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DigiCat03 ,

Once a variable is created, it can either have a default value that can be set from Variables tab in Actions dialog or can be assigned a value from a script that can be done from Advanced actions dialog.

In Advanced actions dialog
1. Select Create a New script
2. Highlight "Add Statement" and press space bar
3. Press space bar again on Statement
4. From the resulting dropdown, select "Assignment"
5. From the list of variables that appear, select the variable you created and assign a value
6. Save and close the script
7. Now this script can be executed by calling it from on slide enter event.

Hope this helps.

thanks
ravi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2009 Mar 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ravi,

Thanks for the reply but I must not have made myself clear. My problem is that I don't have the option to "Create a New Script" under the advanced tab. On the drop down box for Edit/Create action there are two options: "Choose an action to edit" - the default; and "Create a new Action".

I would love to do just as you described - but I can't find the 'Create a New Script". That's why I'm thinking I have missed something, have the wrong view.... it's making me a bit insane! ;-)

Thanks again,
Cathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2009 Mar 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - duh - I get it. There is no "Create New Script" option. That is the "Create New Action". Sorry for the confusion. But as a newbie, I take everything literally and in the help files it makes it seem as if that is an option.

Oh well. At least they finally added variables to the program! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 01, 2009 Apr 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Cathy,
You shouldn't be sorry, if the help file and Ravi are saying you should select "Create a New Script", but the interface says "Create a New Action" this is not your fault. This is the result of Adobe's typically poor documentation and a programmer not knowing their own product. I am sure you are not the only person with this problem.
That's my rant for the day.
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources