Exit

Numbers assigned to page do not match page thumbnail numbers

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have moved pages from nine documents into a single document. This results in several sections in my single document whereby the pages have conserved the original numbers they had while they were in separate documents. The page icon numbers are continuous from 1 to 169. But the bottom of each page shows the original number. So if I was to export a pdf, the pages would be numbered 1-7, then 1-18, then 1-12, and so on.

I have the spent the last two hours trying to find a solution online, and have tried numerous suggestions, but to no avail. Most of my attempts cause a Warning window to appear. "A page number in this section already exists in another section..."

I would be appreciative of any help.

Marcel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Hi Marcel:

Check your master pages. Were the page numbers added using the Current Page Number marker, or were they added manually?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcel:

Check your master pages. Were the page numbers added using the Current Page Number marker, or were they added manually?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for lending a hand Barb.

I think it was to be automatically, but how can I confirm that after the fact. I see that there are letter placeholders in my master pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Letter placeholders sound promising. Can you show a screen shot of you open Pages panel?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pages 1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. You are inadvertently using Alternative Layouts. See the little gray triangles above each page icon on the top row? Right click each one > Numbering and Section Options and uncheck Start Section.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unchecking Start Section, then clicking Ok. But if I right-click a second time on the same triangle, the window that opens indicates that Start Section is still checked. It keeps reverting back to the Start Section being checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, wait, something is happening, lol. BRB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are incredibly wonderful. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL. Did that work for you?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did. I'm not sure how I ended up by default in the alternative layout, but that was exactly the issue. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! Happy weekend to you!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines