Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver crashes while performing "find replace"

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the latest Dreamweaver CC, with latest updates.

On a large site, I do "find replace" to look for all divs with a certain classname, and replace the content.

Each time, after a while, and some replacements, Dreamweaver just crahshes and closes without warning.

The find-replace command has only been partially performed.

Quite disappointing for the expensive fees we pay for the CC-version.

We have Windows 10.

How can we solve this issue with Dreamweaver ?

regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an open bug that is not yet corrected... unfortunnaly... some person in this forum don't encounter it... and the bug decalaration often close...

so the discussion is stil open... we are quite a lot around here to get this trouble (I personnaly went back to use DW CS6), that said, if you can add your voice to the bug base that will probably help to move on...

if you want I can digg to get some bugs number

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can report a bug, or add your voice to other users who've already reported it, here: Adobe Dreamweaver: Bugs: Hot (922 ideas) – Adobe Dreamweaver CC: Feature Ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you Jon, the fact is that with the bug database if the engineers preserve the open bug we can get feedback... but as soon as the bug is story oriented, or backlog oriented... finished no more info shows up...

but with Features ideas... then we have no info at all... never...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at the bug database and it looks like this issue has been fixed in the upcoming update. Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Inderdeed, the bug is fixed in the latest release !!

Now Dreamweaver has a very powerful sitewide "find-replace" function !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2023 and this is still happening and I lose my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Dee28407999w8d7,

Thanks for writing to us. Please confirm the Dw and OS version where you are observing the issue. We can accordingly have a remote connect session at your convenient time to further investigate the issue.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the offer but this is not reproducable - that is, I cannot determine what causes it. I have Win 10 and DW 21.3. The computer was just purchased new last fall and should be reliable.

The last time it happened, it was downloading a file from the server and DW had a "crash" message about transferring (happens frequently). Then, DW closed and all the files were gone when I re-opened it. I have DW set to keep the files when it opens, but it doesn't when it crashes.

Sometimes DW cannot transfer a file, up or down, "crashes". I then initiate the same trasfer again and it will transfer the file.  Sometimes, when I try to download a file, DW tells me it doesn't exist. I have another access to the server and the file is, indeed, there.

If there are any other settings to track this down, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Are you working in a defined local site folder that resides on your primary hard drive?  Example, C:\MySite\

2. Have you tried Restoring Preferences?

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

3. What do your system's logs say is the faulting module that's causing DW to crash?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I turned off all cloud stuff and haven't had this issue since. I already had it to save everything locally and work locally, but apparently that cloud stuff interfered.

Also, my computer is running much quieter.

It's too bad that these days, software takes up enormous resource as if we all has super duper computer equipment and massive bandwidth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I turned off all cloud stuff and haven't had this issue since.

By @Dee28407999w8d7

===========

You may need to repair or re-install Creative Cloud Desktop App. See below for details.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-missing-damaged.html

It goes without saying, you must have sufficient equipment, memory and OS to run Creative Cloud apps.  These are the min-system requirements.  However depending on what all you do, you may need more than this.

- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

- https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/system-requirements.html

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I turned off all cloud stuff and haven't had this issue since.

By @Dee28407999w8d7

By saying, turn off all the cloud things... I think we're probably talking about the same thing, but just in case, I'll point out for those who are interested, that for some time now I've had stopped all the Adobe services running at startup... and it's amazing how much calmer and more responsive the machine is since then.

However, this has not solved the problem of intense replacement searches, either on large sites or on large documents.

But for the daily use inter soft... what a gain of flexibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW just crashed and I lost the files I was working on.

I am not in favor of try this and try that. I cannot take the time to try this and that unless I am compensated. The software should have been extensively quality checked by the company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Crashes are abnormal. 
  • Software is tested before it rolls out.
  • I suspect a deeper problem that's goes beyond the scope of what this user-to-user community can provide.

CONTACT ADOBE SUPPORT:
================
Online Chat: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
Twitter: https://twitter.com/adobecare
Phone M-F, during normal business hours: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Crashes are abnormal. 
By @Nancy OShea

Yes, I completely agree, but unfortunately, these crashes of DW (crash, freeze), are recurrent when we launch researches replaced heavily loaded (large web sites, of large XML/JSON documents)... and it is not occasional, however do not occur systematically in all cases of figures (cases of figures that are difficult to identify)

• Software is tested before it rolls out.
By @Nancy OShea

Several times during different beta programs of DW this problem was declared, identified, studied,... we were several to support it, but unfortunately it could not be eradicated and is still part of the workflow.

As some engineers said at the time of Macromedia, it is identified as a FOL (Fact Of Life)

• I suspect a deeper problem that's goes beyond the scope of what this user-to-user community can provide.
By @Nancy OShea

Yes @Nancy OShea , you can't say it better, especially since a year, or two ago, the engineers took the hand on my machine, they were able to see several times the bug, indentifiy it, retrieve the various logs and crash dump files, but once again, it seems to be a complexity that has difficulty to find solution.

This being said, and I'm not presenting this as a workaround, or a method to launch heavy duty searches and avoid crashes... but in general, by modifying the Windows startup file and removing all Adobe services (there can be up to ten of them depending on the facilities), I found that the machine consumed less resources, the fan blew less, and when running several tasks in parallel, it preserves some flexibility in using DW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit of history. I've been around since Arpanet and recall "internet" via phone before there was the word "Internet". Who recalls the days of tech support telling you to reboot or turn your computer off and unplug then restart to solve a problem? Too many times I've experiecend Software blaming Hardware, getting patched to Hardware and Hardware blamed Software. At times, Software said it was Hardware, and I proved them wrong when the issue was, indeed, Software.

I am seeing that now on this thread and other threads. Software doesn't know the solution so it's probably my system, Hardware.

These days, there are more systems involved in using a program (app) from not only the bandwidth and how you receive your signals (satelite, fiberoptic, cable, WiFi, ...) to how fast the user types and uses the mouse. There are lots of wavelengths travelling around that may interfere from Bluetooth, WiFi, the remote reading on the building gas meter, cell signals, and so on that may interfere with sensitive systems and programs. (FM radio has interfered with MRI/NMR instruments that had to be detuned to work.).

Anecdote. Back in the good old days, when an instrument failed, a PhD professor told me to not try a troubleshooting task. I did it anyway and found that the signal didn't change when it should have reversed, and he was befuddled. My point is that things can happen that even the most experienced and learned person cannot predict. The great majority of the issues I raise are escalated because the issues were rare and not understood. And, the company was seriously interested in solving it to help them.

I've experienced advice such as "try this", "try that".

TRY?

Generic responses are useless. Sometimes it works, sometimes not and the client's time is wasted. How about the company taking their resources to try it first and understand the problem and methods to quickly trace it to resolve the issue. Most of use are too busy to do the troubleshooting for the company who will benefit from our time, expertise, and work unless we enter a suitable contract for me to help them resolve the problem.

I have worked in, understand, and support Quality Control and trust that the DW software was tested. But, how far? As noted above, there are many system and software permutations to test that, in these days, have become almost impossible to do thoroughly. In addition to the above list, there are different devices, OS, OS versions, background programs, accessories, connections, hardware, and so on that to test all permutations becomes unattainable before the next release.

For a company such as Adobe, I expect them to take issues beyond the simple answers and resolve it with their expertise. This "Adobe Support Community" apparently has neither the capability nor the resources to do that for Adobe. Because this page uses "Adobe", their logo, and domain URL, I assumed that I would find quality expertise here to handle even the most complex issues without sending me to yet another place. Solving it here would help others as well. And, I expect them to take serious interest in this issue.

Is this a community run by volunteers for Adobe or are there actual high-level technical experts here to assist the users who pay Adobe?

That said, my system is more than what is required. It is not bogged down with numerous programs running, except for the Cloud that reduced the workload on my computer. I expect that when a problem occurs, the company, Adobe in this case, will be intimately involved with the best troubleshooters. But that no longer happens due to the complexity and lack of either knowledgeable people or a program so complex that it's hard to impossible to trace in a reasonable time.

If such a complex program is provided that uses an array of resources, then I expect the company to easily understand how the problem may occur. That is not the case these days. They just look at the bottom line and figure that this is a rare case where they can afford to lose the business of one client.

Thank you for your attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that this long post needs a clarification, especially if you were not following.

"except for the Cloud that reduced the workload on my computer"

should be

"except for the Cloud that reduced the workload on my computer when I disabled it."

Thank you for the comments. but DW is still crashing after turning off the cloud activities. Last time was during an upload.

And, it does not always upload. It tries then says it canceled the transfer. I immediately repeat it and it uploads. More waste of time for a program that should not be interferring in my work.

As my mother always told me, "pennies count". In this case, "seconds count".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update

DW just crashed as I went to my browser. It was idle (or doing background stuff) but just crashed and I lost my work, yet again.

It also crashes at times when uploading/downloading from DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What did Adobe technical support tell you?

CONTACT ADOBE SUPPORT:
================
Online Chat: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
Twitter: https://twitter.com/adobecare
Phone M-F, during normal business hours: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's 2023 and as @Dee28407999w8d7 I still have huge trouble serach and replace in very large document, or very large web site... I d'ont talk about XML structure 😞

DW since 2015, I don't remember exactly the date, change something in it's core engine, and serach and replace went out... as I said many, many times to folks @adobe , bugs reported... but bugbase is closed now... Folks @adobe took hands on my machines, bug report was send, and so on... nothing helped... now when I need to digg in large document or large project... Ultra Find or Vim...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dee28407999w8d7,

For what it's worth, my aging workstation running Win10 (ver 22H2) never crashes.  Dreamweaver is very stable.  And just so you know, I have several site folders (on primary HD) that contain 1000s of assets.

Troubleshooting can be tedious, I get that. It's easier to just blame the software.   But if my system crashed as frequently as you say yours does, I would install CC on another computer to see if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, my aging workstation running Win10 (ver 22H2) never crashes.  Dreamweaver is very stable. 

By @Nancy OShea

the fact that this bug is not reproducible in your context, does not mean that it is not active in other environments or contexts.

it is not the general stability of DW that is in question, but only its stability when searching / replacing on large volume (on files in a transversal or vertical way)

But if my system crashed as frequently as you say yours does, I would install CC on another computer to see if the problem persists.

By @Nancy OShea

This is not the first time that search/replace concerns on large volumes, and on many systems have been raised and Adobe has never found a solution.

as I say every time this problem resurfaces in the forum, it has been tested, retested, tracked, studied, logged, dumped, reproduced, observed... so unless to perform these tasks with other tools, nobody have not found a solution so far, and for my concern, I can only support those to whom this happens.

"No you didn't enter the Twilight Zone, it happens, and as Chris Carter says, you are not alone"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines