• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making cross references inactive while retaining page number

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cross references are making my document unbearably slow. I'd like to keep the text, and all the hard work I put into entering it, but make the cross references inactive. If I do Delete Cross References, the cross reference page number changes to the current page number. Anyone know a work around or a way to save the hours of work I put into entering the cross references info but make my files usable. I'm using CC.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Hi rosebude86799211:

This post explains how to convert x-refs to static text:

https://indesignsecrets.com/converting-cross-references-text-and-retaining-info

Let. us know if that works for you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rosebude86799211:

This post explains how to convert x-refs to static text:

https://indesignsecrets.com/converting-cross-references-text-and-retaining-info

Let. us know if that works for you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. This should do the trick. I sure wish the InDesign team would figure out how to make cross references a usable attribute. In it's current state it's pretty much worthless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version—exactly—of InDesign are you using?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is not clearly said by Sandee Cohen is that some kinds of CR have 2 parts: text + variable!

Convert this kind of CR to text (even if a part is already text) presents, as she rightly said, a bug.

For this reason, it's not the text part that will be converted but only the "variable" part!

That means the user won't loose the "dynamic" side  of the CR because (s)he doesn't convert them to text, only a part of them.

The first problem is to "convert" a variable through a CR!

A client asked me this some time ago! … Of course, to treat all the ID files of a folder! [more funny].

Just 1 click!

… And, of course, this "static" side could be just temporary, only to avoid to make the user's work "unbearably slow"!

Is the game finished? … 

Just try with just one CR, do as Sandee Cohen said but don't delete the CR in the CR panel! …

Then, "update" to recover the "dynamic side" of the CR! …

Best,

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… Surely a really good idea to totally loose the CR "dynamic" side!

Best,

Michel, for FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised this answer and its reference to Sandee Cohen's article on InDesignSecrets.com could be marked "as correct"!

In my humble opinion, "… Just highlight all the x-refs in the panel and click the trash icon" [in bold, dixit Sandee Cohen] is not exactly "make cross references inactive while retaining page number"! … 

Best,

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did do what I asked for. Ideally the CR's would stay active but this is a good solution if you don't need them to be.

You're suggestion worked great. I have yet to see if it helps with the speed, but it seems to do the trick.

On a side note I realized that some of my CRs were linking to old files which InDesign was having trouble finding. I resolved those issues and moved my files off the served I was working on. The files are working much better now.

Thanks everyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am always happy to help, rosebude86799211 .

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Barb,

Sorry! … but I don't find something answering to the original question!

"Anyone know a work around or a way to save the hours of work I put into entering the cross references info but make my files usable."

The only right answer is to permit the user to update the CR after conversion!

… And if (s)he does it, (s)he will discover (s)he has a serious problem with a nice mess as gift!

So thanks to not include me in your "We"!

Best,

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines