• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unexpected Error Opening Catalog

LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this error message for the first time ever tonight.

As I advise others, I suspect it's a bad sector or other hard disk problem. So what to do? I have a recent backup, so let's try a few things.

Attempt 1: Copy the backup catalog (after unzipping it) to the same folder as the original on my C drive, and then try to open it — DIDN'T WORK

Attempt 2: Copy the backup catalog (after unzipping it) to a new folder on my V: drive, then try to open it — WORKED!

Attempt 3: Copy the backup catalog (after unzipping it) to a new folder on my C: drive in a different place in the folder hierarchy — WORKED!

Conclusion: this is some sort of hard drive malfunction on my C: drive, probably localized since it works fine elsewhere on my C: drive.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solutions work. Thank's for the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this problem also on a 1 year old computer with a SSD.   In my case I was working in lightroom and it just closed on me as I was retouching a simple photo. 

I tried several times your method but failed everytime.   But I thought about the problem and finally copied "Light Room Catalog -2", pasted into the Backup Folder, then renamed the Folder to "Light Room Catalog -3", then copied the file that was in the origional "Light Room Catalog -2"folder, and pasted that into the Folder holding my previously pasted copied & renamed folder ("Light Room Catalog -3").   So that folder now contained the "Light Room Catalog -3" Folder plus the file that was in the origional folder as well.   Yes... that file should be in 2 new places now, once in the main Backup Folder, and a 2nd time in the "Light Room Catalog -3" folder in the main Backup Folder.   Hey crazy... but it worked after that.

I hope that makes sense. 

Note:   I had the same thing happen on my other power horse a week ago.  Only then I used an older data base.   Me thinks it was not the SSD's but a possibibly a windows or LR update.   I have been doing this since Lightroom 2 as a active Professional with 100's of thousands of images and never a burp... and to have it happen on 2 different laptops within a week with SSD's... I say its an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines