• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Showing highlighted clip in source monitor without having to double click?

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I do a LOT of media managing, and it is always a pain to have to double click every single clip every time I try to change metadata on my files.

On the project tab, I have all my clips. I press the "Description" tab, and it lets me edit it. If I double click the clip, it shows in the Source monitor.

My problem lies in having to double click every single clip just to change simple information on the metadata (like a slate on the first frame). Is there a way where when I press Enter, the next clip gets selected to edit metadata AND it shows up on the source monitor? That would save me a lot of headache when editing metadata quickly.

Below is an image as example. I already labeled 2E-3 and pressed enter to edit the data of another clip, but 2E-3 still shows on the source. If I double click the clip I'm trying to edit, then I get that video on the source monitor.

Is there an option? What about a shortcut that shows the highlighted clip on the source monitor? As long as I can stay on the keyboard and not have to switch between mouse and keyboard, it would really streamline my workflow.

Thanks!

mtdt.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

There are a few things you could do to speed things up.

Ideally, you should use a macro app to record the specific keystrokes you make to open the clip, switch back to the Project panel, and then navigate to the Description field. This would be the fastest way for you to get things done. I've set up a quick demo of how this would work - I am using a single keyboard shortcut in the clip to open the clip and move to the next Description field. It took me about a minute to set up the macro:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhyOTAuOwz3Hl_5wLzVakJI4AgBWxw

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift + O will open clip from Project window in Source Monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. My only issue is that if have the text open for editing the metadata, Shift+O doesn't act as a shortcut, but for capitalizing letter O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the text active, hit the Enter key (not the return key) prior to typing Shift+O

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried it for you earlier, assigning it to an available key ctrl-alt-O (that way it works even in the description field) and I could do the whole thing with the keyboard, but it took a few keystrokes. From the metadata workspace, when you press the ctrl-alt-O it opens and selects the source monitor, so use the hotkey to go back to the project window, then tab a couple of times to get back in the description field. I didn't post this earlier cause there is a few keystrokes needed, but its all keyboard, no mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have a look at Prelude, part of your subscription. Not sure it works that way, but it does have a head-up feature which works pretty well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there are control surfaces that allow you to stay on one input device ( instead of going back and forth between mouse and keyboard ). Maybe something like that would work for you ??

good luck !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few things you could do to speed things up.

Ideally, you should use a macro app to record the specific keystrokes you make to open the clip, switch back to the Project panel, and then navigate to the Description field. This would be the fastest way for you to get things done. I've set up a quick demo of how this would work - I am using a single keyboard shortcut in the clip to open the clip and move to the next Description field. It took me about a minute to set up the macro:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhyOTAuOwz3Hl_5wLzVakJI4AgBWxw

Alternatively, you can load up to 50 clips at a time in the Source Monitor. You can then switch to the next/previous clip with a keyboard shortcut (you need to set this up, there isn't any assigned by default).

Also, you could duplicate your bin, and open the 2nd one up next to your list in Icon mode with large enough thumbnails for you to read the code. You can hover-scrub the thumbnails without even clicking on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is extremely helpful. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines