• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Unwanted Main Window Resizing in Photoshop CC

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I manually resize the main window in Photoshop CC, and then switch to a different image by clicking on a tab, the window resizes, usually just vertically. Extremely annoying!

How do I make it so that when I manually resize the main window, it stays that size.

Thanks in advance!

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Hi all, the team is taking a look at this. Stay tuned for futher information.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
37 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you Mac or Windows? Are you document windows docked or floating? A screen shot of before and after would also be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before and after I click on a tab.

screenshot_before.jpgscreenshot_after.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue. Whenever i open a new a file or a smart object, it resizes my window to fit that canvas. Is there a way to stop this? so I can just have the  window size not automatically change?

i am on a mac, and i use tabs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, are you able to help with this? it's really driving me insane. Everytime i click on a smart object or open a new file, my window changes size when i use tabs. I want to keep using tabs as then everything is nestled, and doing a application frame makes it hard to work with other apps. I haven't had this issue on CC 2017

thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solution for now. Talked to Adobe earlier today and nothing they told me to do worked. Had no problem with previous releases either. Real time eater here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks. hopefully they can come up with a fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem since updating my OS to High Sierra and Photoshop CC 2018. Very annoying there is no fix for the main window resizing. I'm actually amazed there isn't more people complaining about it

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CC 2018 and now in CC 2019 when for example I have 2 images opened and I click on a tab of that is not active at the time (in no TABS mode), the winodow is going to be resized. Is it a bug? The only workaround I found is to click that document in any other place than on its tab. I do not like it as mostly I click on document tab - especially when I want to move it to other workspace location. That is really annoying to click a document in other place (especially when Rectangular or Brush tool is selected) to click and hold a tab on that document in another instance. The other document can be securely also clicked not in image area but on right image edge, but still this is workaround that I don't always remeber to do, and that is really bad solution when I have to do it for many documents I have opened, or when I switch them often by mouse click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps not the same problem then. My issue is If I open a file and drag the window out, then double click an embedded smart object (for example), the main window resizes to the image size of the embedded file. Changing Preferences makes no difference nor does deleting preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I answered to dr_melzie, so the original poster that I found experienced the same problem like me. The only difference is that makes it even worse, that first document doesn't have to be resized, that second one by clicking its tab got resized as well. Of course I found this topic thanks to your last input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone still looking for an answer to this question, I found a solution that works for me. Which is a good thing because I was halfway to the nut house trying to figure it out.

It seems that the last major update of PhotoshopCC turns off the application frame. When the application frame is activated, the main window no longer resizes when you open a new document or click an embedded smart object.

Click "Window" in the main menu, and select "Application Frame" to turn it on, and all your troubles are washed away...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Norrisb—your solution to this very maddening problem is the only one that is working for me:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work without Application Frame and experience similar problem. When I opened a new document the window resize itself. A workaround for me is to turn off the "Open documents in tabs" option in Preference>Workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to version 21 and this bug still persists 2 and a half years later.  I prefer to work without the application frame and with tabs, so this is very annoying.  Please fix this, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you and complaining about it! Drives me up the wall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you norrisb! I knew it was something easy but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Appreciate this is an old post, but it's been bugging me for much, much longer! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Windows, Application frame. The size of your images may vary but the window frame holding them will stay the same. And still have tabs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU heynorris!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue on version 23.4.2.  Some on this thread suggest turning on the Application frame and turning off tabs, but for years my preferred settings are the Application frame off and tabs on, and the window didn't resize.  Ideally there would be a preference to turn this resizing behaviour on and off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! Same here my preferred settings are working with the application frame disabled and tabs on! Whenever I open a new file it should be opened with the same window size as my current opened file and as tabs, is anyone still following this case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I convertyed this discussion to a bug report as it seems to impede your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please all affected users vote on top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, the team is taking a look at this. Stay tuned for futher information.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you turn off Zoom Resizes Windows in Preferences->Workspace?

And does resetting your workspace help?

I had an odd bug where zooming to 100% would not fill the screen, and finally fixed it by resetting my workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate