• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank control panel after update?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any buddy else having an issue with the control panel going blank after the 2019 update?

I've uninstall and reinstalled (twice, once keeping the app prefs and the second time removing them).

Once reinstalled, I relaunch inDesign and it comes back for a few minutes and then goes blank again.

To clarify, the actual box that houses the control panel is there, there's just nothing in it.

Have tried selecting different workspaces and still nothing.

Super frustrating. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about this error. The issue has already been reported to the concerned team and we are working on it. In the meantime please try the workaround shared here and upvote the issue: InDesign CC2019 - blank control panel – Adobe InDesign Feedback

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: uninstalled 14.0 and went back to 13.1 to remedy the problem for now. Working perfect. Only problem is that all the files I've worked on and saved as 14.0 can't be opened in 13.1 until they have been converted. Not a big deal but some of the larger files take some time to convert. Would still like to get some input however on the blank control panel as I would love to update to use some of the new features. Any help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restoring preferences. Often fixes panel problems like that:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but no thanks. Not gonna mess around with trashing preferences. I have so many print, pdf settings it would take me a day to redo them all.  Maybe Adobe could make an upgrade that doesn’t have bugs.  I will wait for the patch. I’m sure I can’t be the only one with the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restoring preferences is a standard computer troubleshooting step. Oftentimes, it's a good idea to build new preferences with a new version. It can keep things cleaner and better running. But it's up to you.

It's probably not a bug that will be fixed with a patch. It's only happening on your computer. Patches won't be created for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened on original posters computer and the 5 other macs in my department  Not just mine. Upgrade just  came out today. Got a feeling it ain’t just me. But if it is I will do the preferences when I have a free day. Will wait and see what else gets posted here. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes same problem here. Gonna go back to previous version. Every upgrade has some kind of issue. What a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are able to reproduce the issue.

You can also report and vote for issues/bugs on Adobe InDesign Feedback

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. Resetting preferences on start up worked but suspect it could happen again. I have Keyboard Shortcuts and Workspaces preset so two clicks and I'm back to where I should be. PDF Presets will remain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2018-10-16 at 14.01.14.png did you check this one? Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - switched on and off. Reset Workspaces too but to no avail. Resetting preferences reinstated the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 13.45.28.png
Unexpectedly, it partially appears now with no option to resize. This is becoming quite irritating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problems with missing elements within panels can often times be fixed by trashing your InDesign Cache files (which is not the same as or as destructive as trashing preferences).

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s cache files are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N).With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the “Caches” folder. Within the Caches folder find and delete the entire folder “Adobe InDesign”. I find that deleting the InDesign cache folder completely leads to a lasting change. 

For Windows Users: On Windows 7 and above the caches files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]\<Language>\Cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That helped Bill, thank you. We'll see how we get on with it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mag-man... please report if Bill's suggestion resolves the issue permanently..thanks. i have added my vote to your comment on the Adobe bug board.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do JAMCO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

didn't work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

did anybody migrate preferences from older versions while installing InDesign CC 2019?

I do not do this. Never. I build new workspaces everytime a new version is out. Maybe migration is the culprit here?

To keep InDesign from migrating anything I backup all my preferences and cache directories for all installed versions, remove them and only then install the new version. After that I restore all preferences and caches for the legacy versions.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Mac OS Mojave (InD CC 2019), I've found that deleting the cache is better than rebuilding the preferences, but I still get Control-palette-breaking buggy behavior that I've never experienced in any version of InD. After deleting the cache, it appears to be fixed, but the palette's content area shrinks with each click selecting and de-selecting an image box. This will eventually cause all of the content to disappear. If you re-size the palette, it accelerates the process considerably.

This effectively breaks the Control palette and makes it unusable.

Here's a video of it in action:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<This worked well, thank you Bill.>

Edit to my previous post: This worked well for about 3 minutes.

Thank you for suggesting, nonetheless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the cache brought my control panel back, whew! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the bug will be fixed in an update soon, just be patient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines