• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are there Upgrade Instructions RH7 to RH8

Contributor ,
Apr 01, 2009 Apr 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any articles posted regarding the upgrade process going from RH7 to RH8, or is it a simple install over top of RH7?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 02, 2009 Apr 02, 2009
Hi Joe.

Hopefully Rick won't mind me sticking my toe in as I know he is a little tied up (hopefully not literally) at WinWriters UA.

The first thing is that RH8 is not backwards compatible with any other version. Once you have opened a project in RH8 it can not be opened in any other version. You'll get a warning to this affect when you open a RH6 ot RH7 project. So before you do anything, take a backup just to be on the safe side. Once the project has been upgraded, you'll notice the HTML is ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 01, 2009 Apr 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

RoboHelp 8 will install in a different folder than RoboHelp 7 did. So there is no "install on top of" feature you are mentioning.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 02, 2009 Apr 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, Thanks for the information. There were a series of articles about the upgrade from RH6 to RH7, and i just want to make sure this upgrade from RH7 to RH8 is done properly.

Is it safe to assume there are no special considerations when opening a current RH7 project in RH8?

Are the projects backward compatible once in RH8? Or any other things to consider?

We use RSC 3.1. Will we simply need to create connections to the project from RH8 to RSC?

It would be really nice if there were a knowledge base article documenting the process, regarding these sorts of things. Unless it is as simple as installing and opening a project.

Thanks

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe.

Hopefully Rick won't mind me sticking my toe in as I know he is a little tied up (hopefully not literally) at WinWriters UA.

The first thing is that RH8 is not backwards compatible with any other version. Once you have opened a project in RH8 it can not be opened in any other version. You'll get a warning to this affect when you open a RH6 ot RH7 project. So before you do anything, take a backup just to be on the safe side. Once the project has been upgraded, you'll notice the HTML is a lot cleaner, hence the lack of any backwards compatibility.

As for RSC, I don't use it. That said, provided you just want to stop using an earlier version of RH and start using RH8 I'd have thought it would be the same as normal. You'd just check out the project, upgrade and check back in. Maybe someone else would want to confirm this. If you want to test RH8 with an existing project, just do a get latest - or whatever the equivalent is in RSC - and test away. You wouldn't need a RSC connection for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum

Nah, I never mind at all. The more the merrier!

BTW, at the moment I'm back home in my living room with my dogs all nestled nearby while Peter is probably Juuuust about to land in Heathrow. He told me that he would arrive home this afternoon.

Was a lovely time meeting up with him and the gang. The Adobe folks are always amazing and despite the economy there were still 300 or so in attendance. If you do meet up with Peter on a personal level for a beer or whatever, have him tell you the story of "riding the ducks in Seattle".

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yikes! Is it Thursday already? Craig, Peter and I will no doubt meet up soon so thanks for the (what sounds like) "wind up" material

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colum. I'll mark your response as the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2009 Apr 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
A point that seems to have been missed is that unless you have full licences for both versions, you need to uninstall RH7 before installing RH8.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp