• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I calibrate the sound of a trailer to 85db?

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm editing a trailer for a cinematic release. The sound - which is mainly one song - has to be around 85db for the theatre.

Since I cannot change the setting in the export, I would like to know how I change the sound in the sequence itself.

The numbers in the audio meters panel next to the sequence vary from 0 to -60.

How do I "translate" the 85db to the 0 to -60 db in the audio meters panel?

Thanks for your help

Bob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bob,

How do I "translate" the 85db to the 0 to -60 db in the audio meters panel?

I don't believe there's a 1-1 way to match decibel levels with anything a computer can detect. I think you just need to go with broadcast standards, then perform a test at the actual location.

Check out this article: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2017/6/21/loudness-and-dynamics-in-cinema-sound

It says, "One possible solution is to adopt the BS1770 loudness standard we already use in broadcast workflow and music streaming and apply it to the cinema workflow, with a suggestion to set a maximum for the Program Loudness of -27 LUFS (-21 LUFS for ‘loud cinemas’) and a maximum Short Term Loudness of -6 LUFS.  The expected result of this solution is that cinema playback volume can then return to a normal reference level."

You can monitor and correct loudness in Premiere Pro and Audition: Deliver broadcast quality audio |

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines