• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Illustrator files opens as XD files and I can't change it

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my Illustrator files force to open in Adobe XD even after I change the default app for .ai files to Illustrator. illustrator problem.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

JinaF First check wether you have all the newest updates from adobe CC and if you indeed have Illustrator version 23 installed. You can check this in the about info in the help menu

!! Be aware that making the wrong changes trough regedit can be harmful to your Windows installation !!

• Press start button + R at the same time
  • Type in Regedit and press ok.
  • You will probably get a Yes / No Windows security question > select yes
  • Regedit opens
  • Browse to Computer > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > .ai
  • Check the entry call

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem with the new update. Illustrator does not recognize my ai files to be opened with AI.
I tried right-clicking, open with, select another app, "always use this.." - it doesn't work.

I can open them with Illy, but not as default.

Win 10 - 64 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I also had problems in Premiere following the update as I couldn't render my sequence. Took me ages to find out it was one tiny transition it didn't like.

Why let an update cause such annoying problems to existing apps!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue with Win 10 (64-bit).

Even tried using the "Choose default apps by file type" settings panel to change it, but it wouldn't. I'd select Adobe Illustrator from the list, it would take a few seconds to try and configure, but then it would be right back on XD.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced the same result 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 - I have the same problem...all .ai files are opening with XD.

Also all my smart objects from photoshop open in XD !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went as far as to uninstall XD to see if I could set the default app to Illustrator... it didn't work Without XD installed, i can't even set the default app to open an ai file as illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that they release 29.1 soon to fix this.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Doesn't seem like it should be a tough fix. Hope they can resolve this soon, it pretty annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is even occurring when I try to edit vector smart objects from inside Photoshop... that's how I ran into this issue... Major time suck working around this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, I can't believe this, it's driving me crazy. It's not a minor problem for paid service!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, i even tried to set Photoshop or Notepad++ as standard App for .ai files, just to test if theres something wrong with the illustrator installation maybe. But i cant change it.....

Thats a real bad problem since it breaks workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this issue on windows 10 and this solution worked for me!

1. Uninstall both illustrator and adobe XD

2. Reinstall illustrator

3. Set illustrator as the default program for .ai files (control panel > default programs > associate a file type with a program > choose default apps by file type > set .ai to illustrator)

4. Reinstall adobe XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't help. You cannot assign a program to files with an extension .ai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually when you first uninstalled both and then installed Illustrator, you dont need to change anything. AI files are allready associated with Illustrator then and it didnt change when you install XD afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled AI and XD. Then reinstalled AI. When I went to set the file association in the control panel, it was already set to AI. Therefore, following the directions, I reinstalled XD. It changed the AI file association back to XD and, like before, could not change it to AI.

Windows 10 Home.

This may be a correct answer for some, but not for me 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to unmark the answer as helpfull.

Since i restartet my PC things gotten even weirder.

In Explorer the Files have the Illustrator Symbol but when you double click them, they opened up in XD.....

Also with Photoshop files, every time i try to open one i get asked which program i want to use.....

Edit:

I have them installed on 2 machines, on my laptop there is no problem at all i have to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same issue. Uninstall/reinstall as instructed in the "correct" answer does not fix the issue for me. I'm able to set the default to another non-Adobe app (for example, "File Viewer Plus" in the Windows App Store), but any time I try to set the default to a CC19 application, it just shows up as XD again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. The "solution" accepted as the answer didn't work, so I'm just rolling back to the old versions until this gets fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Adobe support on live chat when I first had this issue and the person took control of my laptop to look into it. They did a few things which didn't work but I think then the way they got round it was by going back to the previous version of illustrator. Hopefully there will be a proper fix soon as this is obviously only a temporary solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here. but on Mac (HighSierra).
Since CC2019 my .ai files do not have the usual icon. they're just shown with a "blank-document"-icon and if I double click them out of finder (or desktop) they will open in Photoshop. 

Very, very annoying. I have to work with that all day long and every second time I forget that I should NOT double click the file .......

Will try to get in contact with Adobe support too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on windows 10 64 bits. Uninstalling and installing the apps did not solve the issue for me.

I hope a patch is coming soon. Very time consuming to workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone also having the issue of vector smart objects in P'shop now opening in XD as well?

Kind of annoying to have to export the smart object, then right-click said ai smart object to select "open with Illy" because if I don't it'll open with XD whether I like it or not. That's several extra steps in a process that used to be much more streamlined.

Has anyone tried uninstalling just XD? I'm afraid that it'll default ai files to then open with P'shop somehow and I still won't be able to change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled both Illustrator and XD. When I reinstalled Illustrator, the file association was changed to Illustrator. So, that should work if you don't need XD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I tried uninstalling XD in hopes that I could set the default program...that did not work. I was afraid that my head would explode if I tried to uninstall/reinstall Illy and it didn't work. Killing XD and uninstalling/reinstalling Illy worked for me as well. I now just have to remember what I did to get Suitcase Fusion to work again. I don't have Illy icons, but I can overlook that for now. At least the "flow" is back.

Yay.. updates.. Someday I'll learn to wait a bit after release for these bugs to get squashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines