• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

importing doc errors

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2009 Apr 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am trying the demo version of RoboHTML. I understand i should be able to use the importing feature. I receive the same error whether I import a word doc or framemaker file. I am selecing the right output and have no funny characters in the doc name. The error I get is "filename is invalid. The " chartacter cannot be used in a path. I am not using any ". Also, I was told that it does not matter what version of word or framemaker I have.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Caryn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Caryn

How exactly are you trying to import?

I ask because RoboHelp 8 offers new ways to do this.

* Straight Import as we have always had. A one time shot bringing in from Word and from there forward you simply make any changes in the resulting HTML topic pages.
* Linking to Word by reference. You establish a link between RoboHelp HTML and a Microsoft Word document. Any changes that occur later are made in the Word document and brought back into RoboHelp to update or create topics.
* Linking to Word by copy. You establish a link between RoboHelp HTML and a Microsoft Word document that is copied to the project location. Any changes that occur later are made in the Word document and brought back into RoboHelp to update or create topics.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick
Straight import...File>Import>doc or framemaker file. When I select a document it does not appear in the file name box, which is odd?

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Caryn

Odd? Well, maybe.

You said you see the document and click it to choose it? I'll be happy to test here if you want to zip it up and send it along to me. If you want, make a copy of it and strip out most of anything I shouldn't see. But if you do that, please test with the one you are about to send and ensure the same issue is present.

rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick
I actually do not have a project yet. I am just testing the features. It is my understanding I can just begin a new project from scratch and begin by importing the file first. I am trying to pick any word doc and framemaker file.
I had called Adobe earlier and they told me that this feature is available for the demo version. I have this error whether I have an existing or new project. Do you use this import feature? have you seen this error before?

Thanks
Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Just to confirm. You are using RoboHelp 8 HTML. (Trial version is irrelevant as it is the real deal limited only by time)

You are attempting to create a totally new *PROJECT* from a Word document?

Admittedly I've never attempted that. I'm not sure it would ever dawn on me to try it that way. I would have the project already created and import into the existing project.

I could fathom all sorts of oddness that may result from attempting to do that.

Sooo, does the error happen immediately or do you see dialogs first?

As you may be able to tell, this isn't an error I recall seeing reported here or that I've personally experienced.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick
Does it matter if I have an existing project already started? I get the dialog box but the name never makes it to the file name box.

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2009 Apr 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold on, unless you have created a project you cannot be using File > Import > Word Doc (or FM), those options are only available in an existing project or a new one with no previous content. Either way though, you are in a project.

The other way of starting a project with a Word document is from the Starter page.

Try both. Maybe one will work.

Otherwise if your file name is straight alphanumeric characters, it should work fine. Is the path to the file exceptionally long?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter
Yes I have tried it with beginning a new project from the start menu. The file name is not long at all and has no unusual characters in it. I only have an old robohelp project that exists that I could also not import. But, i wanted to try from scratch first.
Other thoughts?

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the full path and filename?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying any word doc or framemaker file as a test. I pick one that only have straight text. For example, org process.doc as a word doc to import.

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take screenshots of every step from when you click Start > New Project up to and including the error message.

Zip them up and send them to me via my site. Include a link to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is your email or website?
thanks
Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The website is in every post! Just look down a couple of lines.

Click the Feedback option on my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

senit let me know if you get it
thanks
caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try removing the apostrophe that is in the path or move the file to another location without any apostrophe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow peter it worked! thanks
Now I will try the framemaker doc also,
Now I have to figure out how to complete the next sub menus to import the right info.

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it wont take a framemaker file.
anything special with importing framemaker files?

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this time I get to the content settings before it tells me that the file name is invalid. I did move it to a different location first and left the framemaker extension. No unusual characters. Still wants me to change it to a .mif/fm/frm file. But, it is already.

Caryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I don't work with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp