• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still can't "edit in Photoshop" with psd as end result

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried everything imaginable and this just still doesn't work. Is there NO WAY to automate the saving anymore? I've done this for years with no issues, but since I've had CC I just can't make it work. Here is my original thread:  "Edit in Photoshop" opens CR2 file instead of PSD

I understood that the files appear as CR2 instead of psd until they are saved. Great. So I changed my preset to save at the end, but now it saves every single image, for example, as 0001.psd.  So I'll edit 25 images and they'll all get saved with the same name, each overwriting the previous. If I do it manually instead of as a batch, it works because I'm saving one at a time. OK, I'm smart. Change the preset so it saves first (creating the psd), runs the preset, then saves and closes. Wrong again. Still doesn't work. So basically I can make this work one image at a time, but cannot batch edit.

Right now I go to Automate > Batch with the source as Opened Files. I select my preset and have tried saving in different spots within the preset as well as having no save within the preset and using the Destination as Save & Close. Nope, still just keeps overwriting or stopping to ask me to save each file.

I used to throw everything from LR into PS, automate the batch, walk away and come back to all saved psd files. I have preferences set so ZU4A0001.CR2 becomes 0001.psd. Screen shots are in the previous post.

"Edit in Photoshop" opens CR2 file instead of PSD

And still, after all this, no luck. Can I no longer do batch edits this way? Please someone help. I can't sit here and save every single file by hand!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood that the files appear as CR2 instead of psd until they are saved. Great. So I changed my preset to save at the end,

What Preset? Are you referring to the options in the External Editing Preferences?

"Edit In Photoshop" does not use an Export Preset, so where are you doing a "save at the end"?

but now it saves every single image, for example, as 0001.psd.  So I'll edit 25 images and they'll all get saved with the same name, each overwriting the previous.

If you have used the [Edit In Photoshop] command [Ctrl+E]  then using the Photoshop Menu command [Save]  or [Ctrl+S] saves the new PSD file with the same filename as the original image with a suffix added (eg. -edit)   (My Ps options set to create TIFF files)

ScreenShot379.jpg

If I do it manually instead of as a batch, it works because I'm saving one at a time. OK, I'm smart. Change the preset so it saves first (creating the psd), runs the preset, then saves and closes. Wrong again. Still doesn't work. So basically I can make this work one image at a time, but cannot batch edit.

Again, I am not sure of your workflow- "Change the Preset"- which preset?

It is easy to open multiple images in Photoshop- select multiple, [Ctrl+E],

but "Saving" them from Photoshop needs some thought-

1. [Ctrl+S] will Save each single PSD image, then you will Close each [Ctrl+W]. (or use an Action)

2. [Ctrl+W] will Close each PSD image and ask if you want to save, answer 'Yes'. (or use an Action)

3. [Alt+Ctrl+W] will Close ALL documents in Photoshop and ask if you want to Save the images. (ie. a Batch 'Close') Tick the [Apply to All] box-

ScreenShot380.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you are running a Photoshop Action (not a preset) that includes a ’Save as’ step at the end.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, I was tired last night. It is a PS action not a LR preset. However, there is no Save As step at the end. I've tried have no saves, save at the beginning (thinking it would save as a psd first, then continue the rest of action), and tried using it as a batch where the destination is save and close.

The only thing that works is running the batch on all opened files with absolutely no saving anywhere, then manually doing CTRL-S on all of them. I don't understand why having the Save (not save as) at the end of the action no longer works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

save at the beginning (thinking it would save as a psd first, then continue the rest of action), and tried using it as a batch where the destination is save and close.

Your logic is good and something I would expect to work as well.

I have followed your steps (not by an action) to "save at the beginning" and then save to close, and yes, it is possible, and the preview in Lightroom changes accordingly, and updates, with any change of Ps editing (I applied some adjustment layers), BUT I get the 'no go' icon that suggests to me that Photoshop has a problem (unknown) with the second "Save" function and back to Lightroom.

ScreenShot382.jpg

Can I suggest to delete all 'Save' steps from the Ps action, and then use [Alt+Ctrl+W] to Close and Save all documents open in Ps (Step 3. in Post#1 above) It is a work-around, but it may be the only alternative.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same problem. Adobe CC says everything is up to date.  I suspect that the ACR used by PS & LR are not the same based on what I've read.  The ACR plugin in PS is 11.0.0.61.  LR System info pasted at end of message. I  have Sys info from both LR & PS but don't know how to attach them.

The bottom line is in LR when I "Edit in PS" the image in PS is NOT editable.  In the past it always was editable.  I have the Edit in PS preference of LR set to PSD.  Adobe CC says everything is up to date.  I generate the System info from PS & LR but don't see how to attach it.

I believe this problem began when I told Adobe CC to remove the prior version of PS.

I can workaround this problem by exporting in LR to a fullres PSD (in the same folder)  then synching the folder which makes the PSD show up in LR, then I can use the Edit In dialog using the "original file" in PS. Then everything works properly, but it is sort of a pain to use the workaround.

LR info:

Lightroom Classic version: 8.0 [ 1193777 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition

Version: 10.0.17134

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 4.2 GHz

Built-in memory: 32702.3 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32702.3 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 4084.0 MB (12.4%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 4859.0 MB

GDI objects count: 1022

USER objects count: 2860

Process handles count: 2184

Memory cache size: 1276.2MB

Internal Camera Raw revision: 61

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 2727MB / 16351MB (16%)

Camera Raw real memory: 2739MB / 32702MB (8%)

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1200

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (23.21.13.8813)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC

Library Path: C:\Lightroom Main Catalog\Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\Patri\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) AdobeStock

2) Canon Print Studio Pro

3) Canon Tether Plugin

4) Facebook

5) Flickr

6) HDR Efex Pro 2

7) LR/TreeExporter

8) ON1 Effects 10

9) ON1 Enhance 10

10) ON1 Photo 10

11) ON1 Portrait 10

12) ON1 Resize 10

13) Perfect B&&W 8

14) Perfect Effects 8

15) Perfect Enhance 8

16) Perfect Photo Suite 8

17) Perfect Portrait 8

18) Perfect Resize 8

19) SmugMug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known bug. It has been discussed here many times. The work around is that you must first manually launch Photoshop. Then images sent from Lightroom will be editable.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently disabling the Home Screen in Photoshop preferences works too.  Then you don't have to preload Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Either PSD or TIFF.

External editingFor the round trip Lightroom raw to Photoshop then back to LightRoom, the file format Photoshop will send back to LightRoom is defined in Lightroom preferences,

File name does not change, just file extension.

note, typically close in Photoshop in this process, not save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines