• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR will not identify hard drive

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep all my photos on an external hard drive. I recently backed up my photos to another hard drive and since then light room does not recognize my hard drive. The computer does and I can look at the photos on other programs. I tried to disconnect and I've tried all the ports on my computer and it still will not recognize.

Please help I have a lot of love and labour involved

Thanks

Scott

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

All of your folders have question mark icons. This document describes how to fix this (see FIgure 4 and associated text)

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand the issue fully. What do you mean LR doesn't recognize the drive? You select Import and don't see it showing up as an option:

driveselection.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my photos have already been imported into light room. They re all on the EHD, not on the computer. Since I backed up my photos to another EHD for safe keeping, when I plug the original EHD to my laptop light room will not allow me to develop the photos, saying the file could not be found. I can use other programs on my laptop to view the photos from the EHD but not light room

[Removed unnecessary link by Moderator.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what you describe, it would seem that you moved the images to the new EHD instead of copying them. Could that possibly be the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the photos are still on the hard drive as I can access them from other programs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So LR sees the drive right?

You've imported them before correct?

So LR isn't allowing you to import them again which is what it's supposed to do unless you turn off the "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" check box option.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they have all been imported, I have been working on them for weeks. Since I backed them to the other ehd it does not recognize the original drive. It shows question marks beside all the files but I can access the photos on other programs on the computer

Thanks for bearing with me here

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® S2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it won't allow me to import again as all the photos are darkened

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No reason really, some else mentioned maybe I moved them rather than copy. But yes they are still on the hard drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will see about moving the photos back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scottr42667908  wrote

I will see about moving the photos back

I don't understand. If they are still on the hard drive then why would you have to move them back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you use "Find Missing Folder" to relink the images to your HD? I had an issue similar in that I had two several hard drives and LR kept saying it couldn't find the folders after I had different hard drives connected. I finally fixed this issue, on Windows, by assigning a drive letter, rather than letting the computer do so. So I named one HD "P" so it was far enough down the alphabet not to run into issues with other drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a find folders, I have been trying to find missing photos but it is not working. How do you rename a drive, and would I have to import all again and if I do I lose all the editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you don't have to reimport. I forget how to change the drive letter, but you can Google it. It was very easy to do, and it saved me lots of headaches. To use find missing folders, right click on the folders that have the question mark. Do this at the highest level, as it will find sub folders for you. You will be promoted to locate the folders, so just navigate to where they are using the LR prompt.

And you do want to change the drive letter and not just the volume name. It's good to have unique volume names, but it doesn't help LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to find missing folders, all it did was open another folder and put the missing pictures in it.

I will try those tomorrow. Thanks for that. I will now drown my sorrows about the football game tonight.

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of your folders have question mark icons. This document describes how to fix this (see FIgure 4 and associated text)

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for pointing me to this. All my photos and folders found.

Thank you all for your help as well, the link above was a saviour

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines