• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why doesn't light room support tethered capture on sony?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know there are 3rd party applications that allow you to work around this problem, but I want to know why Adobe can't or won't support tethering for a Sony directly in the app.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're not Adobe here in this forum, we are just other users, we can't answer "why" Adobe does or does not do something. Even the occasional Adobe staff person who replies here only provides technical support, I have never seen them answer "why" questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many over the years have asked Adobe in their official feedback forum why they don't support tethering of Sony cameras. There have been a few incomplete answers.  Sony never provided a publicly available SDK (software development kit) for tethering over a cable. They did provide an SDK for wireless tethering, but an employee hinted that the engineers didn't find it suitable (no reasons given); but regardless, Sony has withdrawn support for that SDK.  PhaseOne provides wired tethering of many Sony cameras as part of their closer business partnership with Sony, presumably using a privately available SDK or in-house engineered tethering based on specs provided by Sony.  Adobe has never commented on why they haven't wanted to or been able to partner with Sony (that's not the sort of thing they every comment on).

You can add your feedback on this issue to this topic in the official feedback forum: Lightroom: When will my camera be supported for Tethering? | Photoshop Family Customer Community . Adobe product developers read everything posted in that forum and infrequently reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John is right. I am pretty sure Adobe only provides tethering support for cameras where the manufacturers supply a working SDK for tethering. Canon, Nikon, phase one and I believe Leica do so they are supported for tethering. Sony doesn't. Not much you can do but ask Sony to provide a tethering SDK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

La solution dans un futur proche est que je vais sortir de Sony. SJ

artsud.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines