• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a 2nd external drive to my LR workflow

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a MacBook Pro and am running LR off of a 2 TB external drive.  The catalog and all images are stored on that external drive and it is now full.   I want to add a 2nd external drive so that I can add more images to my catalog.   A friend suggested copying the catalog from External HD 1 to the new external drive 2 and then continuing to import new images to the new external drive.  Will this work? I don't want to move any of the images in HD1 I just want to add another drive to my workflow for more storage.  Is that possible or is there another way to do what I'm trying to do?   Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clairegardiner  schrieb

A friend suggested copying the catalog from External HD 1 to the new external drive 2 and then continuing to import new images to the new external drive.  Will this work?

I don't have experience with Macs, I'm a Windows user, but I think in this case there are no differences.

This option will work but it is just a suboptimal solution. you have two catalogs with different content.

The better solution is the further usage of the catalog  on external HD1 and import the picture to external HD2. The only point that you have to remember ias to connect both drives.

Why you don't copy the catalog on the internal hard disk an work with smart previews?

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

clairegardiner  wrote

I have a MacBook Pro and am running LR off of a 2 TB external drive.  The catalog and all images are stored on that external drive and it is now full.   I want to add a 2nd external drive so that I can add more images to my catalog.   A friend suggested copying the catalog from External HD 1 to the new external drive 2 and then continuing to import new images to the new external drive.  Will this work? I don't want to move any of the images in HD1 I just want to add another drive to my workflow for more storage.  Is that possible or is there another way to do what I'm trying to do?   Thanks!

Yes, this will work, but you do not even have to move the catalog. You can simply add the second drive as destination when you import new images.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines