Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Not a PNG file" error

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently (yesterday) bought a subscription and downloaded Photoshop cc 2018.

I cannot open a PNG file, this is what it says:

0.jpg

I cannot continue editing without the PNG file I am trying to open.

1. I have tried opening this same file on my other laptop which also has Photoshop cc 2018 installed and it opens perfectly.

2. I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling but it still doesn't work.

3. I am using windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Does it have to be a png? If you can open it on your other computer, try saving it as a .psd file on to a flash drive and then open it on your new computer so you can at least keep working until you get an answer for why.

I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but it's just a practical work around until you find out the answer.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a very valid point, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me, that type of error seems like one of the following:

• a corrupted file
  • It's a different type of file, just named .png. Someone could have renamed the file extension without actually converting the file. For example, they took file.jpg and just renamed it file.png

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you are trying to say, but as I have said - this opens perfectly on my other laptop. So the possibility of it being a corrupted/different kind of file would be zero.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not rebuild it? Open it in the laptop that will take it.

Make a "non-destructive change" such as toggling q on your key to enter/exit quick mask. That makes it a changed file.

Save it and try opening it in your other PC

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I missed the part where you said it opens fine on your other computer. If you transferred it from one computer to the other it's slightly possible it could have been corrupted, but that is unlikely.

Does this happen to all PNGs, or just this one?

Have you tried saving the file as a PSD (Photoshop document) on your other computer and see if that opens? You could then try saving it as a PNG on the "problem" computer and see if it works. The idea is that you need to figure out if it's a problem with your file, or your installation of Photoshop.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thought--

When you have the "Open" dialog box open -- there is a little drop down menu at the bottom. Change the selection to All files, an see if you can open the png.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem, except I am on a Mac. Since Macs will allow files without extensions to be used, I tried deleting the extension and Photoshop then opened it. It says it's a Photoshop .psd file even though it was saved as a PNG. I suggest trying to change the file extension to .psd and see if you can open it. I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Mac users, simply open the suspect file in Preview.app, then select File > Save and the correct extension will be applied. I use it most when .jpeg is appended to what is really a .png file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similarly, on a PC/Windows machine, try opening the file in MS Paint and do a "Save As..." hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This really helped me and saved my time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is suddenly happening to me today. I do NOT want a workaround. I want it fixed. Now.

It's not just happening on one image. It's all images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:

* Adobe product and version number

* Operating system and version number

* The full text of any error message(s)

* What you were doing when the problem occurred

* Screenshots of the problem

* Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2018

Mac OS High Sierra

Not a PNG file
Trying to work in photoshop

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 12.18.23 PM.png

Model Name: iMac Pro

Model Identifier: iMacPro1,1

Processor Name: Intel Xeon W

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB

L3 Cache: 11 MB

Memory: 32 GB

Boot ROM Version: 15.5064.0

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 12.30.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-02 at 12.30.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-02 at 12.30.45 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you getting your .png files from? Are they downloaded from the web, emailed, or generated by another app?

Photoshop does not create the problem, it reads the file header, and if it doesn't match the extension, gives you the error message.

For now open the errant file in Preview and File > Save in order to fix it. What extension is attached?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created the one in the video - in photoshop - yesterday. But it is doing it on jpgs as well - with jpg extension. Why would it do that when I'm not even trying to open a png?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Photoshop is doing this and this problem just came up, I would recommend a Preferences reset.

Here's how to do this:

Reset Prefs CC 2015.png

I'm not sure how your main disk drive is formatted. I presume APFS if it's a Solid state drive and HFS+ for the others. I'd advise running Disk Utility First Aid to see if there are any problems.

I don't know if you put your Mac to sleep like I do, but a restart has been known to clear up problems as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will give it a try. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed updates, rebooted and everything seems to be fine now. files that wouldn't open previously are opening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed MacOS was 10.13.5. instead of 10.13.6, and of course I did not ask what version of CC 2018 you had, which should have been 19.1.5. I once had those versions and never had a file problem, but it goes to show not all systems are equal even in the Mac world.

Glad to hear it's solved.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Open the file with a text editor/hex editor and see what the first characters say. Those first characters show the file type.

For png they will be ‰PNG , for jpeg  ÿØÿá

Edit : Sorry - I've just realised you are seeing this on more than one file. In that case the adice from gener7 is the best.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was brilliant--thank you! I was having the same issue...file says PNG (even when looking at type in properties window of file explorer), yet it would not open. Upon inspection in Notepad, it seems to be a WEBP image. Here are the first characters:

RIFFˆ› WEBPVP8L|›

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution.

Today I got this very same problem. I tried to open a .png file I dowloaded from the internet in my PS to use as a reference. All I got was the "Not a PNG file" box.

Capture1.PNG

I'm using Win10, and the photo viewer shows the image with no problem. However, Photoshop didn't let me to open it.

davescm​ had a good hunch on what was going on:

Hi

Open the file with a text editor/hex editor and see what the first characters say. Those first characters show the file type.

For png they will be ‰PNG , for jpeg  ÿØÿá

I opened it in notepad, and fairly enough the start of the file read ÿØÿá meaning it was a .jpg file. So the extension was wrong.

I went to the file explorer, and turned on the file name extensions:

Capture2.PNG

Now I can see the incorrect .png in the end

Capture3.PNG

and I just changed it into .jpg instead.

Capture4.PNG

Clicked Yes and tadah! Now it works!

Capture5.PNG

Hopefully this will help someone having the same issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines