• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to record OS UI actions

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2008 Feb 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to record a tutorial about how to configure a web server in Windows Vista, but when I click on the Start button, the operating system intercepts all calls from the keyboard, like PrtScr or F11, and so I can't seem to be able to capture the steps. Does anybody know how to do it with Captivate 3? Thanks.
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2008 Feb 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried changing the recording key commands to "regular" keys- just letters or numbers? :^)

Good luck!

Artie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Artie.

Letters and numbers are prefixed by Alt key or Ctrl key, both of which are intercepted by the OS.

I've done before this kind of captures with version 1 or 2 of Captivate, but wanted to see if I could spare going back to previous versions 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Doh! I kind of figured that you would have tried that already, but you never know. OK... I have one other suggestion– not such a no-brainer, but maybe more convoluted than you want: VNC.

If you were running your app on another machine, it wouldn't be able to intercept your keystrokes locally. I'm recording Mac stuff, so I have no choice but to use VNC, but it's actually been kind of nice.

If I'm just setting up a series of shots, I do it on the Mac, and reach over and hit Printscreen on the PC as needed. That way, only the clicks and keystrokes I actually want are captured. (And if I mis-click, I don't have to listen to Captivate taking pictures of me while I fix my mistake.) If I do want Captivate to detect my actions, I work through the VNC viewer.

Have a great weekend!
Artie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources