Exit

HDR creates very sharp image

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

This is less of a problem and more a confusion that I'm having:
When I create an HDR-Image (by using "Photo-Merge"), the resulting image is a lot sharper than the sum of it's parts; even when "Auto-Edit" is disabled.
The image on the left is the sharpest one out of my bracket and the one of the right the unedited HDR-Image. Notice how much more zoomed in it is (both are at 100%) but also how much more detail is maintained.
I don't know enough about the algorithm and software-scaling to explain this myself. If the pictues are actually that much sharper, woudln't it make sense to do brackets of everything (unless ofc it is moving very fast)?

Thanks in advance for explaining this to me and helping out,

Leonard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

lemie  wrote

When I create an HDR-Image (by using "Photo-Merge"), the resulting image is a lot sharper than the sum of it's parts; even when "Auto-Edit" is disabled.

This is a normal attribute of HDR image processing and is due to an increase in micro-contrast. You can see a similar increase in apparent sharpness when using large Highlights and Shadows values (-100 Highlights and +100 Shadows) with normal images, which also increases the dynamic range.

Using micro contrast | Howgreenisyourgarden

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn’t include any images.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

lemie  wrote

This is a normal attribute of HDR image processing and is due to an increase in micro-contrast. You can see a similar increase in apparent sharpness when using large Highlights and Shadows values (-100 Highlights and +100 Shadows) with normal images, which also increases the dynamic range.

Using micro contrast | Howgreenisyourgarden

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines