• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjustment layer bug with scaled content

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - I've found a bug with adjustment layers, resulting in pixelated output as below:

adjust_bug.jpgEasy steps to reproduce: Place an image into a layer, scale it to anything but 100%. Create an adjustment layer above, set to Luminosity blend mode, and you'll see the pixelation. To make it smooth again either set blend method to something else or remove scaling. Obviously Luminosity adjustment layers are kinda important in broadcast... so this is a pretty major problem. This is with CC 2018.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically no one is using Premiere to output TV commercials? That's what this bug implies so I would've thought the post would generate prompt feedback from Adobe. Or is Premiere just a kids toy & people in broadcast use FCP or Resolve?

Adobe has no way to submit bug reports in-app or on forum. Their bug report links to an "ideas" page which I'm sure is well ignored. This is just immoral for companies on a subscription service. Autodesk for example have tiered in-app logging and support engineers on forum who review every post.

Not sure where to go from here except maybe contact a prominent youtuber who might have some sway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you choose font does it have parameters, like " smooth, sharp " ) etc.

I usually use sharp and do titles and text in photoshop and use those layers in PPro. Rolling stuff, titles, everything.

Maybe check parameters as you do the text ? I only have old version, so just wondering.

this place is not some official "customer service" thing.. it's just nutty people who like to use adobe products, and can sometimes help each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing to do with type - it happens with any scaled image (the example was just type in an image). So basically you can't use scaling if you plan to output to TV.

Yeah that was my point about Adobe, they don't have any form of official customer service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no way to submit bug reports

This is the only way.  It does get results.

Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posted there - its been 5 days with no acknowledgement from Adobe. Further investigation has revealed the problem may just be that scaling is poorly implemented in Premiere. You can test this by scaling up or down and it creates subtle saturated outlines at contrasted edges, and this effect is made more obvious when you change blend modes - this explains how I found the issue. You can't even grade after a precomp because once you scale the bad data is in there.

The ONLY way to grade in Premiere CC is to scale all imagery beforehand in Photoshop (lol), using Option 8, Bilinear. It actually uses less samples but is the only method to maintain predictable edge color during scaling. I assume Premiere is defaulting to Bicubic re-sampling, I haven't found a way to change this so yeah... its funny that the programmers who made Premiere Pro CS5.5 years ago actually knew what they were doing because scaling there doesn't have the same problems, so I've gone back to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its been 5 days with no acknowledgement from Adobe.

That's normal.  That doesn't mean anything other than Adobe hasn't personally responded to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's normal for Adobe is not normal for all other production software companies - no broadcast professional is going to take Premiere seriously with this limitation. I've checked on a Win10 machine with CC2019 and it has the same issue.

Also how do you know that bug reports submitted there "get results"...? You have no clue what Adobe is or isn't working on..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've talked with numerous engineers and managers on the PrPro development team for several years at both NAB and Adobe MAX ... I was a TA in the video track last week at MAX, in groups of 4-6 per class, with among others engineer Steve Hoeg and color engineer Fran Roig, along with the head QC engineer for AfterEffects.

I've always been rather direct about what I like ... and what I'm displeased with ... in person as well as on this & other forums. From long discussions, they clearly know what's going on in the UserVoice system ... that posts directly into the engineer's system and also to the collated list the upper managers use to determine program budgets and engineer's time allotments. Those guys can talk individual reports from the UserVoice that they have been working on sorting out.

So your surmise about UserVoice is just that ... surmise. Not at all reality.

There are numerous things I'd love changed and some fixed. The closed/open captions section of PrPro is embarrassing to be polite. Just to mention something. And like most users, I could give a pretty decently long list.

But in the last few months, there's been a huge change in how the engineering team relates to this forum. In the past Adobe policy was this was user-to-user with Product Support oversight/assistance, and the 'teams' did not work these forums. Period. Under the new head of the DVA's that has finally changed ... if you look through this forum, there are quite a number of responses by Francis Crossman (color engineer), Wes Howell, James Strawn, and a couple others I've forgotten the names for in the last few days alone.

Even one of the AfterEffects color engineers jumped into a thread on this forum.

A most welcome change.

You've got a good post there to begin this with ... yep, that's a bug issue, and would  be a royal pain for b-cast as you say. Post it on the UserVoice system and the engineers will see it immediately. You may or may not get asked for further info, but if an engineer can look at your post, replicate it right off ... they probably won't take the time to respond. But it will get looked at.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also how do you know that bug reports submitted there "get results"...?

Because things get fixed.

There is also a new feedback system from Adobe on UserVoice, though it's generalized to everyone posting in a thread, not normally specific to any one person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you scale it up or down ? Just curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned in the original post - any scaling causes the problem, up or down.

An update - I have since discovered this is not caused by the Adjustment Layer itself, but a problem with the Blend Mode. If you change scaling on any layer and change its blend mode to Luminosity these artifacts will appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines