• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic CC 8.0 - performance nightmare.

Participant ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,
I think I'm done waiting for LR to speed up. I am using LR from version 3. It was good, very good. With every update, it was slowing down, but there were promises that will speed up with next update. On the very beginning of this year, there was some speed up and I changed a computer - ryzen 2700x on very good cooling, 32 GB RAM, 1060 6GB, 250GB Samsung 960 EVO PRO for catalog and system, SSD Samsung 850 for working files and WD HD for archives. Every app is flying except LR. After the last update, every single click, every single image processing is a nightmare. And I don't have 4k screen - I have Eizo CG2420 - 24' with little more than fullHD. For last days I have tried every single thing that I have found here on in google. Nothing. I have tried other RAW processing apps. Flying. Even after pressing shift+F for full screen  I have to wait more than 8 secs (!!) for LR to be responsive again. I'm tired. I'm ditching LR after my subscribe time is finished.  What I have tried? Let's see. Formatting system drive. Different nVidia drivers, keeping every session in different catalogs, applying sharpening and NR on the very end, different preview sizes, smart previews, disabling some of my processor cores, disabling/enabling GPU, etc. There was small performance gains with some steps but still, it is far from what I could have in different RAW processing apps. And it's not even when I open catalog with processed files. Even after importing like 1 k files, enabling/disabling top bar, bar with previes, full screen mode on/off - everything take sooo much time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off all CPU throttling systems on your computer. That is in both the BIOS and in the OS.

I use LR, PS, on a 7 year old i7 CPU system and have No problems with speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have very good CPU cooling, even on rendering with all cores in Blender CPU temp don't go higher than 50'C. I had i7 3770K before and Ryzen was only faster when I have switched. When using LR cpu temps stays between 35 and 40 'C. And I don't have problems with speeds with PS, Illustrator, Blender, CaptureOne and ane other app. Problem is only with LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This latest release has pretty much destroyed all the speed improvements from the previous release. Someone somewhere needs to come up with a viable alternative to lightroom. Fingers crossed for affinity ;0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same feeling. I had hoped after previous speed improvements that from now on, it will be only better and Adobe finally was focused on the right field - speed. I simply can't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been using adobe products since photoshop 7. Since lightroom became a thing its always had issues with speed which, I think, is down to the databasing system they base the software on (which is also why you cant use lightroom on a network), but I have no idea what they have done with this version. Its becoming painful to use. If Affinity develop a stable alternative I'll probably make the full switch. For the price I've paid over the years they seem to just keep on churning out poorly optimised releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Release 8.0 of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC is significantly slower than the previous version. So much so that I am waiting more than working. Hopefully this is an issue Adobe can resolve in an upcoming patch. The R8.0 software feature adds and tweaks to the existing editing options do not compensate for the wait times.

I have never had "slow" problems with any of the previous releases of Lightroom for the last 4 years but release 8.0 is horrible and now I'm complaining. I have a very fast system...I want to go back to the previous version until Adobe fixes the issues. R8.0 is not worth the waiting while processing images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tokyomagic  wrote

Ive been using adobe products since photoshop 7. Since lightroom became a thing its always had issues with speed which, I think, is down to the databasing system they base the software on (which is also why you cant use lightroom on a network)...If Affinity develop a stable alternative

If the speed issues are about the Develop module then it's nothing to do with the database, it's because Lightroom must always render the entire chain of edits all the way from the raw data. This adds more processing steps (resulting in more processing time) than Photoshop, because Photoshop only has to apply edits to pixels that are no longer raw because they've already been rendered into RGB channels. The processing burden went up a lot when Retina/HiDPI displays came out, because there are so many more pixels to update on the display. One way you can observe this is by reducing the size of the Lightroom window; this usually makes the Develop module more responsive because there are now fewer pixels to update. This is even worse for people with high megapixel cameras; a 36 megapixel image is going to be much more demanding to process than a 16 to 20 megapixel image.

If the speed issues are scrolling in the grid, that's also not about the database, it's about management of previews. I've gotten acceptable Library grid scrolling and image-to-image performance for freshly imported images ever since they added the Embedded & Sidecar preview option on import; if you use any of the other options then the Library module can be sluggish until previews are generated.

As for Affinity, there are a couple of things to watch out for. In the last known tweet they posted about a DAM (August 2018) they said it was “still very early days but we are starting to look at a DAM,” but they actually started talking about a DAM 3 or 4 years ago, so that tweet is not reassuring about their pace of development. The second factor is the quality of their raw conversion, which would be their equivalent of the Lightroom Develop module. You can try that right now, because Affinity Photo has a raw persona (module). If you like the results, then you should look forward to their DAM (whenever it gets here); the only reason I mention it is that not everyone is happy with their raw conversions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no single area, where LR is fast for me. I don't know what is the problem, but as I said, even maximizing window sometimes takes up to 8 seconds and LR is not responding at all at this time. It doesn't matter of library size, previews and being in the library/develop module. There are times after launching the app that it is usable, but doesn't last for long. I don't have such problem for example with capture one, where everything is fast, snappy and responsive, just like DxO or AlienSkin Exposure 4. Literally, LR is the only app that gives me hard time. I can model the interior with millions of polygons in Blender, render it and do other things at the same time. With LR I need to close the browser to make it work just ok. 8 cores, 16 threads @4.1Ghz, 32GB RAM. To be clear - there is not always like that - sometimes LR works fast, but it doesn't last long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that Lightroom is either slow or it isn't. I'm still using my (at least) six year old HP Pavilion desktop, 8 GB RAM, "upgraded" from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and I have no performance issues with Lightroom Classic CC. It just works. My catalog contains about 30,000 images. I'm able to create panorama images with as many as 24 24 megapixel raw files. This isn't intended to be one of those "rub it in your face" responses. I'm just pointing out that Lightroom isn't slow for everyone, and the speed problem is a complex issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree because on my friend's computer works much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines