• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extra numbers added to sequence number

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On importing I use Custom file name and set the start number sequence.  I select File Name & Sequence number,   On import there are extra numbers added after the sequence number.  In some cases the extra numbers appear to be the total number of photos on card at that point where the photo is imported (e.g., if I import ten photos and select to number them 1 through 10 but they are the 200 to 210 photos on the card, the displayed sequence number will be 1200 through 10210); however, this may not be true for all cases.  At any rate, how do I stop the extra numbers from being added to the sequence number I have selected?   Using LR 6 stand alone.     

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, can you post a screen-clip of your File Renaming settings in the Rename Template Editor?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not receive an email that you had replied to my question, thus the delay in responding.  Screen shot of Custom Name editor attached.  Is this what you requested?

LR.jpg

Is there something I have to do in order to receive email that my question has been responded to? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about what you want the final filename to look like.

Now, you stated Filename and Sequence number. But you have Custom Text and Sequence number.

Should this actual be:

{Filename>>}-{Sequence # (1)>>}

Now, I am still uncertain to what you are trying to have the file names imported look like. Can you provide an example by just typing in your replay a few imaginary examples

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followup

Playing around in LR, Looks like you chose Custom Name - Sequence. As opposed to File name - Sequence.

so are you going for something like

IMG-1.RAW

IMG-2.RAW

(where IMG was the chosen custom text.

or are you going for something like:

DSCF1308-1.RAF

DSCF1308-2.RAF

(Fujifilm example)

Somehow I do not think you mean the later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, "IMG-1.RAW" is what I want.  When importing photos under File Renaming I select "Custom Text - Sequence no".  I enter the custom file name that I want (I do not want the file name that is from the SD card) and set the sequence number (usually start at 1).  Within LR the name and sequence number are correctly displayed - example: "Birthday 1.NEF".  However, when the photo is sent via "Edit" In to Photoshop Elements the sequence number has additional digits added to it - example: "Birthday 1nnn.tif" where "n's" are some unknown digits. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import do you tell Lr the "Start Number" is 1

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 3.28.23 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there something I have to do in order to receive email that my question has been responded to?

Click the [Following] link at the top right of page and mark the 'email' option.

ScreenShot424.jpg

User Manual for the Adobe Forum Community

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "email" box option, however, there is an "inbox" option that was checked.  Should I be receiving email message with this option checked?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was slightly wrong with the email advice! (I researched the Forum 'Help' files for my previous answer )

Your InBox will be the Orange button (if you see one?) that opens a list of the forum threads you have posted in when others reply in the thread.

You can set the Email option in your Preferences menu- from the button next to the Inbox (mine is the camera icon).

ScreenShot448.jpg

Re: the rename problem-

Check your External Editing settings for Photoshop Elements in the Lr Preferences / External Editing Tab-

There is a File Naming panel at the base of the 'External Editing' tab, check if you have a File Rename Preset in this field.

If you set it to "Filename", then your raw file from Lightroom will open in Photoshop Elements (as JPG or TIFF) and will keep the same Filename as it appears in Lightroom (just a different file-type).

Note: the Rename Template drop-down menu opens all the rename presets as elsewhere.

ScreenShot449.jpg

ScreenShot450.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something happened and my last reply did not get posted.  Basically I was already set up as you describe.  Subsequently I discovered that I made a BIG Mistake.  Additionally it dawned on me that LR was not functioning properly.  First the mistake,  The additional numbers were not being appended to the sequence number but after the "Custom text" that followed the sequence number: File name - sequence number - custom text - additional numbers - file extension.  Also it appears that these extra numbers appear only in the .tff files that appear in Lightroom after the file has been edited and saved in Photoshop Elements (PSE).  Originally I thought they were showing up in the .tff file that was transferred to PSE for editing.  To further complicate the issue not all .tff files have the extra numbers.  Second  - the LR malfunction.  When operating properly when you select "Edit In PSE", LR displays a screen that gives you the options to edit a copy w/LR adjustments, w/o LR adjustments, or a copy.  Only occasionally was the options screen displayed.  Usually the file was sent directly to PSE w/LR adjustment.  I have to wonder if there is not some casual effect between these two issues. 

I had the problem of the options screen not displaying a few months ago and I contacted Adobe support but they were unable to correct the problem.  In fact they made it worse - no files in the Library!  Fortunately I had kept notes on what the tech did and was able to reverse his changes and get my photos back.  Adobe support was supposed to call my back the next day but they never called.

Thank you for trying to help with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your edit in PhotoShop problem, were you editing RAW files, DNG files, or TIFF? For RAW and DNG PS may think it has to use ACR to convert, that it will not be saving back to RAW or DNG, so no option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When operating properly when you select "Edit In PSE", LR displays a screen that gives you the options to edit a copy w/LR adjustments, w/o LR adjustments, or a copy.  Only occasionally was the options screen displayed.  Usually the file was sent directly to PSE w/LR adjustment.

As in the reply by davidg36166309​ -

1. A RAW file from Lightroom opens in Photoshop-E and NO OPTIONS are displayed. The RGB file opens directly in Ps-E with LR adjustments applied.

2. An RGB file (JPG, TIFF, PSD) from Lightroom WILL SHOW the options panel. (This RGB file might be a camera original or a file previously edited in Ps-E.

This is "operating properly".

Page 228 of the Lightroom Reference PDF- Note (JPEG, TIFF, and PSD only)

ScreenShot455.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to disagree with your response.  Perhaps because your reference is to LR Classic CC and I use standalone LR 6.  Until recently, after making LR adjustments to the RAW I always received the Options screen after selecting "Edit in" and as noted it still appears occasionally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Reference PDF for Lightroom v6.0  Page 244 the instructions re opening files in LR-Elements are the same as posted above in Post#14  ie. JPG, TIFF, and PSD are the only file types expected to show the options (Edit a Copy, Edit Original,...). Not 'raw'.

Be aware though that if Ps-Elements is your default "Photoshop" in the Lr-Preferences then I would expect any raw file (CR2, NEF, etc) to open in Elements without the options.

If Ps-Elements is being selected from the "Additional External Editor" list, then I suspect that every file-type will show the Options dialog and if you have selected a 'raw' file, then the Options box may ask for the file-type to open, as in the screen-clip below.

So two factors influence if you see the Options dialog or not-

1. The File-type you are sending to Elements.

2. Where Elements is shown in the External Editor preferences. (As "Default" or as "Additional" External Editor)

ScreenShot458.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drat, shod have also asked.

Can you type in your replay some examples of resulting (erroneous) file names??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 through 10 but they are the 200 to 210 photos on the card, the displayed sequence number will be 1200 through 10210);

I do not know how this occurred for you, but I can reproduce the effect with a Rename template-

So is it possible you have been experimenting with Filename template editing?

ScreenShot423.jpg

This template inserts a 'Sequence' number immediately before the number that already exists in the filename.

eg. My photo IMG_6048  will get renamed by the template shown as 20150829-16048.jpg

Note the sequence "1" is added in front of "6048"

If your imported images are called IMG_200, IMG_201, etc then this rename template would rename it  -1200, -2201, -3202,...-10210, etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To WobertC.  re:email notification.  I checked my account settings and the "Receive email"  and the "Inbox" options were all checked.  But I am still not receiving email that there has been a response to my issue.  I have to keep re-logging into the forum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To WobertC.  re:email notification.  I checked my account settings and the "Receive email"  and the "Inbox" options were all checked.  But I am still not receiving email that there has been a response to my issue.  I have to keep re-logging into the forum. 

I have no answer, sorry. (Just another 'User' without privy to the workings of the Forum site)

I also checked the email options in preferences but have not yet received an email re forum posts!

Ask the question specifically in a new post, perhaps others have an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines